Sunday, September 21, 2014

Song of the Week: "The Gypsy's Wife"

Songs for Becca #23. Leonard Cohen is 80 years old today. His music has been very special to me over the years, particularly as an adult, and I thought I'd post this song, which is Becca's favorite Cohen song. This is her favorite version, too (I think), from the live album Field Commander Cohen: Tour of 1979, featuring a haunting violin solo by Raffi Hakopian.

It's a beautiful, sad song about losing love, written by Cohen as his long-term relationship with the mother of his children was dissolving. It's cloudy and windy here today, adding something to the dark tinge of this song.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I listened to his new album. Liked it a LOT.

SamuraiFrog said...

I liked it quite a bit, too. I was surprised how... I don't want to say short, but lean it was.

Roger Owen Green said...

36 minutes. About the length of Revolver, give or take. OK, you can say short, by today's standards...

SamuraiFrog said...

Yeah, for today's standards. It's nothing against the album, certainly.

I remember about 15 years ago when the Spice Girls put out their second album and it was "only" about 36 or 38 minutes, and this was a minor controversy. A lot of people felt cheated by the short running time in the age of 70+ minute compact discs. I was aware of this because EW actually wrote an article about it.