Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Halloween 2014: Everything Pumpkin Spiced

I see everyone's getting into the Halloween spirit already. Halloween seems to be the internet's favorite holiday, and I've been noticing how every year America seems to gear up for it earlier and earlier. I've been attuned to this because I've sat here before and talked to you in years past about how I thought Halloween was falling by the wayside and becoming more and more of an afterthought. In just a few short years we seem to have collectively decided that Halloween starts in mid-to-late August.

I'm not complaining, although I won't be celebrating that early, and my daily Halloween posts are still going to wait until October 1st. I'll get burned out on it if I start before summer's even over, though I don't begrudge that of anyone else and I love reading Halloween posts. (It's the same reason I don't start getting Christmasy until the day after Thanksgiving; when I worked in retail and we started getting Christmas stock in mid-July, it really took the fun out of the build-up. One month is all I need. Though I still resist Tumblr's insistence that Valentine's is a month-long "season" rather than just one day. You'll never convert me on that one.)

The stores are already rolling out new Halloween tie-ins, too; I've already had the pumpkin-flavored Toaster Strudel, which is really good, and I've already had some pumpkin spice coffee. Not the Dunkin' Donuts brand, but I used this picture because tonight I saw a commercial for their new Halloween coffee flavors. I couldn't find a copy of it, but it had the Headless Horseman in it. I felt like pointing it out because it was the first Halloween commercial I've seen this year, and you might recall that I love Halloween-themed commercials. There weren't as many as I'd have liked to see last year, so I hope we rack up some more this spooky season. The first Halloween commercial of the year is like the first robin of spring, and I just needed to say that I've spotted it.

4 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Someone tells me there are Pumpkin Spice Oreos? If there are, I will KNOCK OLD LADIES OVER TO GET THEM. (They use the "golden" cookie, not the chocolate one, apparently.)

SamuraiFrog said...

I'd be interested in seeing how they taste in the chocolate... maybe a little science experiment is in order.

Autumn said...

Hmmm, I just bought a bag of Pumpkin Spice Milano cookies, which are a bit sweet for me but hey. Pumpkin Spice. Everything. Which is technically my first Halloween/Fall special edition purchase this year. I luckily barista at a coffee shop where we keep Pumpkin Spice syrup and sauce year round so if I feel like it I can have a treat anytime. And I'll admit I made myself a Maple Pumpkin spice latte on Sept. 1st to toast to fall and being able to wear my knitted things again. But my name is Autumn, so that's my excuse for the fall loving, tis the season where my name is EVERYWHERE.

SamuraiFrog said...

Boy, the fall just rolled in so fast, too. Despite the rain and clouds, we were still getting hot, sweaty, 90 degree days last week. Now we're getting temperatures in the 30s and 40s and I've put on my first sweater of the year...