Sunday, August 03, 2014

Song of the Week: "Go All the Way"

I didn't get to my second #1 songs post yesterday because Becca and I spent the day out in Geneva. We went to Five Guys, I got an exquisite bacon cheeseburger with onions and a Vanilla Coke from a fountain, and we saw Guardians of the Galaxy. It was everything I wanted it to be and more, easily one of the best movies of the past few years, and my favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe movie so far. If this were the late nineties (when we didn't have to save up all summer just to do stuff like this), I'll bet Becca and I would go see it at least five or six more times. It's beautiful. It's special in that way I find movies that the internet tries to make me feel stupid for liking are special to me.

One of the things I dig most about the movie is the way it puts its futuristic Heavy Metal imagery against some classic seventies rock 'n' roll. The soundtrack is as fantastic as it could get. If I'm ever in space, of course I want to listen to David Bowie, the Jackson Five and the motherfucking Runaways. Right up my alley; some of the songs have even been featured here in Song of the Week (which I've been doing since '06, can you believe it?). So here's a track that played in the flick, the Raspberries' 1972 power pop single "Go All the Way," which was banned by the BBC for its suggestive lyrics. Great song; I always forget Eric Carmen was in a band.

Feel like it's time to 70s up my iPod...

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

One of those music data compiler websites, well regarded (tho I can't remember the name off hand) kept putting Eric Carmen in the Rascals AND the Raspberries, and other people kept picking up the info and restating it; drove me crazy!

Roger Owen Green said...

Oh, and Coverville this week did a Raspberries/eric Carmen cover story about 2/3s of the way through.