Sunday, August 17, 2014

Song of the Week: "Colors of the Wind"

Songs for Becca #20. I watched Disney's Pocahontas on ABC Family last night. They were showing a whole bunch of Disney movies yesterday that I got caught up in watching. (Turns out I like Tangled more than I remember.) I can't remember the last time I actually sat and watched Pocahontas. I've always liked it; this is a movie that's important to me because of what was going on in my life at the time, and that's why this is a Song for Becca.

In 1994, I saw The Lion King a number of times. The success of that movie meant it was in the theaters forever; I saw it the day it came out, a month or so before my 17th birthday. I was working at Target when the mania for Lion King toys was in the air. (Unfortunately, it was the same summer when Power Rangers got really big, so the toy section was something of a nightmare to work in.) I saw the movie a few times here and there, with various friends and family members. I went to see it with my girlfriend Christy; our relationship was short and intense, and the movie was actually still in theaters when we broke up in December. She was very abusive to me, emotionally and psychologically, and after that I was left sort of fragile. When I started dating Becca, I was in that state where I was feeling pretty hopeless, and I was determined not to get too involved too quickly, because why would any relationship I could have ever last?

Well, we went to see The Lion King (have I mentioned how much I love Disney here? I have? alright, then), and at that time, it was traveling with the clip below, the "Colors of the Wind" segment from Disney's upcoming Pocahontas, which, unlike The Lion King (until it started making tons of money), Disney was hugely excited about. I loved the clip and the song, and after the movie, when Becca and I were talking about it, she said, "We'll go see Pocahontas, too."

I reacted with a little bit of skepticism, because I'd just recently been so emotionally devastated (and by a break-up that I actually instigated, no less), but Becca said "You'll see."

Almost 20 years later, I have to concede that she's right.

And that's what I think of when I see this movie and hear this song. We went to see it a bunch of times. I still love it. I still love her. And she still loves me.

No comments: