Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Y Is for Yarrow

I've always wondered what this flower was called in the back of my mind, but never thought to look.

When I was four, my family moved to Woodridge, Illinois. It was a lot different then. Today, it's built up with office parks, four-lane roads, and a major tollway going through it. When I was a kid, there was a lot of forest area and dirt roads. There were a lot more animals around then, and I spent a lot of days with my friends playing in the woods among the wildflowers and tall trees. We were near a small lake and there was a lot of almost swamplike area with milkweeds and cattails and gigantic anthills and occasionally we'd see otters and foxes and pheasants and deer prints. It was a great world to be in as a little boy; by the time I hit junior high, most of that was long gone.

That's part of why I appreciate living in DeKalb right now. It's starting to get built up, too, but there's still a sense of wildlife, both flora and fauna. My wife and I saw a groundhog crossing the road here, and there was the one time I rescued an alligator snapping turtle. There was the peregrine falcon that slept on my balcony, and the bat that got into our apartment one night during a sudden storm. And there's a whole bank of wildflowers that I've noticed a family of rabbits has made a home in right near my apartment door. We can go over to the lagoon and see muskrats swimming around. Hell, we even had a black bear running around here a couple of weeks ago. Should be interesting to see what happens when the cougars start getting pushed out west of here...

Seeing the yarrow just brings back a lot of feelings for a different time. It's sad to see every place getting so built up, but there's a lot of farmland out here, so it won't totally go away. I like it here, and I really hope things don't get to that four- and six-lane road point. Traffic's bad enough as it is with all of those college kids. I'm pretty much at my limit for how urbanized I want the area where I live to be.

[picture via]

ABC Wednesday

7 comments:

Reader Wil said...

Such a pity that wildlife must disappear for the sake of the extension of the cities. Your wildlife is more intere sting than ours in the Netherlands, which consists of the occasional hedgehog or the odd toad. There are a lot of birds though, and I am happy about that.
Thanks for your post, your visit and comment! We hope to see you also in the next round!
Wil, ABCW Team

Roger Owen Green said...

I never knew what those were caled either.
BTW, I thought you were going to rite about Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary!


ROG, ABCW

Crafty Gardener said...

Yarrow is a tall plant in many gardens ... it comes in other colours too ... white, pink, yellow

Leslie: said...

We moved out here to a little village called Ladner just south of Vancouver, BC. It's still called a "village" but something has definitely changed. It's now a 'burb and I'm not sure I like it.

Leslie
abcw team

Tina Basu said...

lovely wild flowers. And I chose to write on flowers too!!
Tina from The Sunny Side of Life

Roger Owen Green said...

"write" not "rite". I can spell, but not type...

Trubes said...

I think we call those plants Flox in the UK very pretty.
The animals we have in the suburbs are mainly foxes, grey squirrels, hedgehogs and wild rabbits who reside with the foxes in the local woods, (poor rabbits)!
Best wishes,
Di.x