Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

HOMEFRONT (2013)
Silly action flick with Jason Statham fighting drug dealers in rural Louisiana. It's bad, but fun bad. Fitting that Sylvester Stallone wrote the screenplay, since it feels like an unmade Rambo movie. Really, isn't that the next step for Rambo? American crime? The drug war at home? I dunno, but it was so silly and impossible to take seriously that it became a fun waste of time. And then Winona Ryder unexpectedly showed up. And James Franco was the main bad guy, which was sort of ridiculous in an awesome way. ***

COTTAGE COUNTRY (2013)
Bizarre movie about a soon-to-be-engaged couple (Tyler Labine and Malin Akerman) who go up to his family's cabin for the week, and are interrupted by unwelcome guests, family problems, murder, and their own weird neuroses. It doesn't completely work, and I'm not sure how to describe why. It kind of looks like it's supposed to be a comedy, but it's definitely kind of a horror movie, too. I'm just going to stop now, because my opinion just isn't going anywhere. It's not "meh," but it's not "hmm" either. **1/2

GOOFY'S GRANDMA (2014)
I think I'm never going to not shower the new Mickey Mouse cartoons with love. Great reveal at the end of this one, too. ****

ONLY GOD FORGIVES (2013)
So boring as to be unwatchable, which is a shame, because I loved it when the same director and star made Drive, one of my favorite movies of 2011. Nice cinematography, though. *1/2

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Love this Mickey cartoon too. All three of us watched, which so seldom happens.