Wednesday, June 25, 2014

X Is for Xazzed

I've been thinking a bit lately about how we sometimes invent or borrow non-words into our vocabulary. I don't have anything interesting to say about it, necessarily, but I've been thinking about it.

"Xazzed" is a non-word I use more than a bit. It came from a post I did back in 2006, where I mentioned in the comments that the CAPTCHA for one of my comments (back when Blogger used to make you use a CAPTCHA even if you were the blog owner) was "xazzd." I joked to my friend Carl that I was going to be using the word "xazzed" in regular conversation.

To my surprise, I did. I've been using it. It's my word for being really excited about something. For example, right now I'm really, really xazzed about seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. August can't get here fast enough, even if it means running right past my birthday in July. I'm that xazzed about it.

(Incidentally, I pronounce it "zazzed," like jazzed, which is a word my spellcheck recognizes. It does not recognize "spellcheck," which spellcheck insists on separating into two words. For what it's worth, I also don't capitalize "internet," mash all the letters together in email, and sometimes drop the "-ough" where it's silent and doesn't create the "uff" sound like in "enough," so I tend to use "thru" or "altho" in texts.)

I notice I also used the word "froody" in that original comment about "xazzed," which is another made-up word I use, though I've borrowed that one from Douglas Adams. Thanks to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I regularly use the words "froody" and "hoopy" to describe cool, pleasant things. I've also borrowed "intrigueresting" from Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and "frell" to sometimes replace another profanity beginning with f, from Farscape, my all-time favorite TV show. And occasionally, like Conan the Barbarian, I swear by Crom.

Maybe I get it from my Dad. He was known to mutter a "shazbot" just as often as a "dagnabbit."

Interesting how these non-words or fictional words can enter our vocabulary.

Of course, that could easily lead to a discussion of the words and phrases coined by Shakespeare and Cervantes, but let's save that for another time. Other froods have written much more intrigueresting posts about that than this frelling dilettante.

ABC Wednesday

6 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Cor, that were a right frakking fine posting on the Interweb!

Tallulah Morehead said...

You do grok that all words were made up or invented at some point in time?

Roger Owen Green said...

Weird. I know I wrote a reply, but it didn't take, I guess. Xazzed that you are participating in ABCW.

Reader Wil said...

You are an inventorist of newfounded phraserwords! Have a greatly impressively week!
Wil, ABCW Team

Leslie: said...

"Interesting how these non-words or fictional words can enter our vocabulary," Agree wholeheartedly. Whenever I can't think of the word I need (senior moments!) I use the word "thingamajing."

Carl said...

I picked up intrigeresting from one of your posts--and I'm sill surprised the "xazzed" isn't already in the lexicon.

And I must have picked up splendiferous somewhere, but could have sworn I coined it, because I've seen it other places.