Wednesday, May 28, 2014

T Is for Titan

A few years ago, I created a Tumblr called Godzilla Haiku. It struck a chord with a lot of people. It got mentions on Warren Ellis' website, Gamma Squad, i09, Neatorama, The New York Times, and Huffington Post. People have taken the idea and run with it. There's a Twitter out there doing Godzilla Haiku, for example. It really hit with people. It's easily the most popular thing I've ever done.

I put the blog on hiatus for a couple of years. I felt like maybe it was done. Like I'd reached the apex of it. My therapist thinks I sabotaged myself; that I ended the blog because I didn't like my negative beliefs about myself being challenged. She's right; looking at the archives, I see I posted the last one in August 2011, which is not long after my mental issues really had a grip on me. I actually had a couple of other popular side blogs, like Muppet Music--the first Muppet fan blog on Tumblr, thank you--that I deleted.

So I restarted Godzilla Haiku back in December. I don't post on it every day, but it's there, and a lot of people have been very pleased to see it back. That makes me happy. That's validation at a time I need it. And it's something I do to really challenge those negative beliefs. It's part of therapy. And it's as fun as it ever was.

Here are some of my favorites, which I'm seeing again for the first time since 2010 and 2011.

Some of them are meant to be on the funnier side, but I do like to indulge in the philosophical the best. A couple of the new ones:

This is a fun therapy for me! I'm glad I brought this back. It's something I like to do that people still get into, and that makes me feel, you know... less insignificant. But more than that, Godzilla just has a meaning for me. As I mentioned over the weekend, my Dad and I used to watch Godzilla movies on weekends when I was a kid. For a long time, I've pulled so far inward and so far away from everyone, that I didn't feel like I had a Dad for a while. That's not his fault; it's mine. It's survivor's guilt from my sister dying. I still can't get over that. I didn't give my Dad enough credit that he would listen when I needed him to, or that he would understand things I thought he couldn't.

So this thing does go beyond just having a hard time acknowledging that I did something good that people liked and complimented me for. It's also about me and my Dad. Seeing the new movie this weekend with him was a connection we haven't had since I was a happy little kid. And that was nice.

Pop culture means a lot. Somehow, it does.

ABC Wednesday

6 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

So I should expect a Godzilla review soon?

Carver said...

Titan is a great T word and this was an interesting post. Carver. ABCW-T

Joy said...

Ah Godzilla as poet I didn't see that one coming. His soft sensitive side. Such a clever idea, I love the combination of your haiku and pictures.

ellen b. said...

I have found blogging to be good therapy for myself. Hope you continue to find a good release for tension in your life and contentment in your journey...

JP said...

I am very happy to see Godzilla Haiku is back. It was some of your best work, something that could have been high-concept self indulgence but turned out to be creative, fun and even moving.

Cristina Pop said...

Interesting post for the letter T !