Sunday, May 18, 2014

Song of the Week: "Twiggy Twiggy"

Songs for Becca #12. Pizzicato Five was one of the bands that started the Shibuya-kei pop movement, which is this great mix between synthpop and jazz that has this 1960s bent and is heavy on sampling. Their music came over here on a couple of compilation albums in 1994, and am I ever glad it did.

1994 was a year in music when I didn't know what the heck was going on. I wasn't interested in a lot of what I was actually hearing, so I stuck with the older stuff I'd been listening to. At the time I remember specifically being into a LOT of music from the 60s and not much else, except my usual go-tos of film scores, Classical, jazz and musicals. But 1994 was also the year I met Becca, and after that, I got exposed to a lot of stuff I'd never heard before.

She had friends who were into the club scene, so her radio was usually on B96, which played club music. This one, "Twiggy Twiggy/Twiggy vs. James Bond" used to come up a lot. It was this weird little novelty that people just kind of adored in an ironic way. I loved it the first time I heard it. Becca used to do this cute little dance when it was on that I thought was adorable. I was surprised how much I liked this style, since I just wasn't into the pop music of the time at all.

It's hard to describe, I guess. I love this, but what I connect with more is how it made me feel at the time. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: meeting Becca was like someone turning a light on in a dark hallway that I had been in for years. This song is nothing but happy. At the time, so was I.

No comments: