Tuesday, May 13, 2014

HR Giger 1940-2014

Sad news that HR Giger has died after injuries sustained in a fall at his home. He was 74.

I mainly knew him as "the Alien guy" when I was young and into creatures. I didn't experience any of his other art until I was a bit older, when I started working at bookstores and encountered his big, expensive Necronomicon art books. Becca was really into his art when I first met her, when we were both 18. His work reminds me of the kind of dark, Heavy Metal style science fiction that really didn't make it intact into too many genre movies (Alien being an amazing exception). It also reminds me of progressive rock, which fascinates the same parts of my brain (and, of course, he did the art to the ELP album Brain Salad Surgery, among others).

As a wannabe creature designer, his work has always impressed me. As a fan of fantasy art, I found it fascinating. Sad news.

2 comments:

bliss_infinte said...

Damn! We've lost so many classic pop artists in recent years. Frazetta, Gene Colan, Harryhausen, John Barry. Another great loss to pop culture.

SamuraiFrog said...

I just want someone to check up on Brian Froud and make sure he has everything he needs...