Sunday, May 25, 2014

Answers, Part IV

More answers!

Adam H asks via email: How would you spend your perfect Sunday?

And Nik asks: Describe one perfect day?

If you gents don't mind, I'll combine these two, because my perfect day would most likely be a Sunday. And it would be a mild day in early spring, maybe with a cool breeze.

Here's something I've just realized: I think what I always want is to just have one day where nothing goes wrong, nothing demands my attention, and nothing gives me an anxiety attack. And really, I've just got to come to grips with the idea that I'll probably never have that day, but that having a little hiccup in the middle of it doesn't mean that the whole day is ruined. Worrying about it, whether it happens or not, is what ruins it.

So for me, a perfect day would just be an easygoing day where I could deal with everything. And I'd like it to be a Sunday, because Sundays are quiet and soft and Becca's home and we have coffee and breakfast and a donut. I love breakfast. I love breakfast for every meal.

Last Sunday, when we just sat around and watched all 6 Fast and the Furious movies was pretty perfect, because we were just relaxing and having a good time. Today, my Dad is coming up and he wants to take us to see Godzilla because he can't find anyone else to go with him. So maybe today will be pretty perfect.

When I was a kid, Sundays were for church and Sunday school, but every once in a while, we just stayed home. And Dad made pancakes and Mom made coffee and we listened to 8 tracks and then we watched wrestling or Godzilla movies or kung fu movies and the Three Stooges. Those kinds of days have never stopped being the perfect days for me.

Or: going to the zoo. It's always a great day when you can go to the zoo. (I have not been to the zoo since 2008.)

Lindsey Kelly has a couple of questions: What's your favorite color?

Blue. It's the color I find most comforting.

What book will you never get tired of rereading?

Probably Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. Also The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

What's your favorite Disney movie?

Bambi. I think it's just breathtaking. Every emotion is in Bambi, and as an animation geek, it's one of the richest.

Will you be doing anymore smartass reviews in the near future?

That ties in with one of Kelly's questions: Would you be willing to summarize a Nicholas Sparks novel in your 'smartass' persona?

That's something we could think about. When I did Twilight, it wasn't that long after doing the Bible, but it was a little draining. I figured I'd do another one after a bit, but "a bit" turned out to be about four years. When Carl sent me Fifty Shades, I thought it would be a lot sillier and easy to make fun of, but it turned out to be joyless, soulless, and crushing. I had a lot to say about it, but jeez. I thought it would be funnier.

A Nicholas Sparks novel is probably a better fit for something like that. I asked Carl recently "What's the modern equivalent of the easily-digestible The Da Vinci Code?" because it's way too late to do that book, but something like that is ideal.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

3 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Nicholas Sparks is really easy reading, and inoffensive enough that I suspect you could make some hay mocking his oh-so-earnest quality. But maybe you need to read a few of his books to see all his usual "beats" coming, like "emotionally-wounded people find each other in coastal North Carolina" or "wounded people begin healing together just before the Angel of Death shows up for afternoon tea"!

JP said...

I really wish you'd read something by Matthew Reilly. He's so bad - although good at delivering balls-out insane action showpieces, which is what I suppose his fans care about. But still, just so bad on characterisation and general writing, and in some of the same ways as Dan Brown.

SamuraiFrog said...

I've never heard of him before. Looking him up, his titles kind of remind me of Clive Cussler. I do find the title "Hover Car Racer" kind of hilarious.