Sunday, March 16, 2014

Song of the Week: "You Still Believe in Me"

Songs for Becca #6. I've talked so much about what the Pet Sounds album means to me that it would be ridiculous to go into it yet again. It resides deep in my soul and comforts me when I'm depressed. Each song seems to speak to some aspect of my fears, my beliefs, my hopes, my personality. This is the one that speaks to my disbelief that she's stayed with me all these years and hasn't given up on me. She tells me what I need to hear, even when I don't want to hear it. She's more patient with me than I am with myself. She still believes in me, and I am genuinely confused as to why. It's unfair of me, but my schema tells me that people who haven't abandoned me just haven't abandoned me yet.

I remember playing this album for her for the first time. I'm still not a hundred percent sure she likes it. I remember this song really struck her because of the pretty opening (plucked piano wires) and the bicycle horns and bells. That's another reason why this is the song on the album that always makes me think of her.

Like Andy Lippincott, this is the album I want to listen to as I die.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Pet Sounds I "only" listed as my #3 album of the 1960s, but it was HUGE, is huge in my heart, nonetheless.