Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Is for Innovation

Today is the 8th anniversary of my sister's death. She wanted to be a marine biologist and study dolphins and whales. She'd be turning 22 on Sunday, and I think this is the kind of thing she really would've dug as a tool for study.


Finally, someone found a better use for drones than killing, spying and delivering Blu-Rays: capturing footage of wildlife in a noninvasive way.



That's footage of a dolphin stampede, migrating gray whales, and some absolutely beautiful scenes of a newborn humpback whale calf cuddling with its mother. There are more videos here, courtesy of Dolphin Safari.

The use of drones as a tool to study wildlife is a marvelous idea. We all like the various animal cams. My mother-in-law is absolutely obsessed right now with a camera that's fixed on a bald eagle's nest. I saw this footage and was thrilled by its potential.

Ellen would've liked that. I wish I could talk all about it with her. I wish I could show her this video and see her face.

This is what we should be using drones for.

ABC Wednesdays

5 comments:

Reader Wil said...

How very beautiful and very important! I am so sorry you lost your sister at such a young age.Thank you for sharing your and her thoughts.
Wil, ABCW Team.

Powell River Books said...

I'm sorry for your loss. But this is a way to keep her memory alive in a good way. When we were in Hawaii in January we saw lots of humpback whales cavorting off shore, some were mothers with calves. So neat. - Margy

Roger Owen Green said...

Good plan!
As I've said, too often, grief is not linear, and it comes at you in various ways, but you eventually adjust, somehow. I was reading just yesterday the first thing I wrote about my mother when she died a little over 3 years ago; he said I was "dispassionate." Which, as I read it, was true, but not how I felt.

Leslie: said...

What a great and wonderful way to remember you beloved sister. And I am sure she would have loved this, too.

Leslie
abcw team

Tonio Kruger said...

I'm sorry for your loss as well.