Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

PARTY CENTRAL (2013)
Pixar short featuring the cast of Monsters University. It's cute, but--like a lot of Pixar shorts featuring characters from their films--it feels like nothing more than a pleasant outtake. Great sound, though. I really dug the sound editing and how sound itself is used to create humor. Have you ever noticed how great the sound often is in Pixar movies? ***

MUPPETS MOST WANTED (2014)
I enjoyed this one even more than The Muppets. Now, don't get me wrong: you know I loved that movie. But the difference with this one is that the Muppets take the central role. The Muppets decided to reintroduce the characters, so they sometimes fell into the background while the central love story between Jason Segel and Amy Adams took center stage--much in the same way the Marx Brothers would chaotically drift through the central love stories of their MGM movies. Here, they're the stars, Kermit and Piggy are the leads, and it feels more like an old-fashioned Muppet movie. I loved it. The guest stars--Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, and Ty Burrell--are all hilarious, and the film's villain, evil Kermit lookalike Constantine, is a great character. I love what Matt Vogel does with the character and with his performance. Constantine is this film's great creation. (Also, further props to Vogel, whose performance as Floyd Pepper has gotten so much better.) (And really, props to all the Muppet performers, who are doing a great job; I love Bill Barretta's Rowlf, but I'd still like more of Pepe and Bobo, and Eric Jacobson's Piggy and Fozzie continue to be wonderful.) Great songs, once again by Bret McKenzie. I just had a great time all around. My favorite line of the movie: "Goodnight, Danny Trejo." It makes sense in context. ****

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

We WILL SEE MMW! Someday, soon...

Carl said...

I want Sam the Eagle and Ty Burrell to have their own spin-off buddy cop movie.