Saturday, February 08, 2014

The Last Waltz (with Muppets)

Jimmy Fallon said goodbye to Late Night last night with his final guests, the Muppets. This video went online immediately. Everything about it is tremendous. The performances are great. The song is one of my all time favorites. And it's very much in the style of the Muppets. It's so perfectly Muppet. This may actually be my favorite thing the Muppets have done since "Bohemian Rhapsody." Jimmy just gets the Muppets and their humor and what makes them so great. I was misty-eyed by the time Piggy showed up.

A couple of other things I realized watching this: it's going to take me a long time to get used to some of the recasts, but they don't ruin it for me. Also, Walter seems like an integral part of the gang now; I would have been disappointed had he not been there. There were a couple of characters I missed, sure, but this is just so damn good... (Also, hey: Muppets re-enacting a scene from a Scorsese movie, right down to the set and camera angles.)

Thanks for this one, Jimmy. I hope you have the Muppets on The Tonight Show soon enough. You've been damn good to them, and I have to say thank you for it.

No comments: