Sunday, December 01, 2013

Song of the Week: "Good King Wenceslas"

SamuraiFrog's Essential Christmas Songs #16. Yes, I'm bringing that back this year, every Sunday and Wednesday. (I'm going to do Peanuts on Mondays, I think, and hopefully other stuff over the next three and a half weeks.)

This is my favorite version of this song, probably because of the dramatic pacing. We used to have this on one of those True Value compilations when I was a kid; took me forever to find it again as an adult.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I continue to be amazed how old you are, musically; not a criticism or compaint.
The Ames Brothers! I was listening to The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane quite recently on a compilation of 1950s music.s

SamuraiFrog said...

I think a lot of it has to do with my Mom and how young she is. She's only 19 years older than me, and she liked a lot of the music from the 40s and 50s because HER parents mostly played that while she was growing up. They never cared much for rock music, so my Mom heard a lot of folk and country and then music from the previous generation and sort of passed that love on to me. And then I went further, wanting to experience more like what I already liked, so I love things my Mom doesn't like at all, like jazz and Sinatra and old comedy albums.