Sunday, December 15, 2013

Song of the Week: "A Christmas Carol"

SamuraiFrog's Essential Christmas Songs #20: From one of my favorite albums, 1959's An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer. I like the live version better than the recorded version, if only because in this one he sounds more knowing, winking at the audience like they're in on the joke rather than just being cynical about it. I always think of this song when people start going on the annual rant about how Christmas is too commercial and being cynical about shopping. I get it, but, guys, this has been going on long before any of us was born. Do you know when Macy's started staying open until midnight on Christmas Eve? 1867. Sorry, kids, but your faux world weary cynicism is just trying to light a candle that burned out over a hundred years ago. That's why I can't get too worked up over it; all I can do is just decide not to descend into what's already there and not go Christmas shopping.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Love this song! Have since I first it forty years ago.

Roger Owen Green said...

first HEARD it (arrgh)