Sunday, December 29, 2013

My 10 Favorite Movies of 2013 (So Far)

As usual, I haven't seen anywhere near the amount of movies I want to see this year, so here is my annual non-prestigious, completely subjective, yet unapologetic list of the 10 movies I liked the most this year (that I actually managed to see in the calendar year 2013):

1. Gravity
2. Fruitvale Station
3. The Kings of Summer
4. Spring Breakers
5. Behind the Candelabra
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. An Adventure in Space and Time
8. This Is the End
9. The World's End
10. Pacific Rim

And, since I finally did see most of what I wanted to see from last year, here is my similarly subjective list of my 25 favorite movies of 2012. (And looking at the list of movies I have seen from 2012--over 100 of them--last year wasn't really a fantastic year for movies.)

1. Life of Pi
2. The Avengers
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
4. Amour
5. Cloud Atlas
6. 56 Up
7. The Master
8. The Impossible
9. Ginger & Rosa
10. The Pirates! Band of Misfits
11. Prometheus
12. Seven Psychopaths
13. War Witch
14. Kauwboy
15. Argo
16. John Carter
17. Safety Not Guaranteed
18. Skyfall
19. Django Unchained
20. Kon-Tiki
21. Lincoln
22. To the Wonder
23. Frances Ha
24. Magic Mike
25. A Royal Affair

2 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

I really loved THOR II: THOR HARDER (not the actual title). It was just such a FUN movie. Lots of great fantasy stuff gets made of late, but the FUN often isn't there...instead it's always a wallow in darkness. I'm glad to see some acknowledgment of the non-GameOfThrones end of the fantasy pool.

SamuraiFrog said...

I remember my comment at the time being that one of the things I most loved about the Marvel movies as opposed to the DC ones is that in the Marvel movies the heroes AREN'T nihilists.