Saturday, December 28, 2013

My 10 Favorite Movie Posters of 2013

10. I've been looking at this for a while, and I think what makes it stand out to me is that the drama of this poster reminds me of my childhood love of Transformers: The Movie.

9. As usual, the posters for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug are a morass of character posters (as are most of the posters we get for most movies these days...) of quality that runs the gamut from moderately photoshopped to Dear-God-Why-Doesn't-Ian-McKellen-Look-Human? Of all those character posters, this was the only one I really liked, I think because the photoshopping is forgivable (Elves are supposed to look more perfect), and because it feels like I'm seeing something different and new in presentation. One of the things I really liked about the first film was the way Thranduil came across as so completely other. It was fascinating to me. I really can't wait to see him in this one. (Tomorrow, I hope.)

8. I love the design-y aspect of it. Plus, the identification of each character by what they wear is pretty much how the characters in the movie look at their lives. A rare poster that actually says something about the movie rather than teasing you with spectacle.

7. I wish I had any hope that the movie was going to be anywhere near as gonzo as this poster. Robert Rodriguez stopped making good movies even before the first Machete. I'm not even interested in seeing them anymore.

6. Nicely provocative and confrontational image for a provocative and confrontational film. Also love the neon 80s colors.

5. I have nothing deeper to say than "This is just really neat."

4. Obvs.

3. I would love to see a science fiction movie--Dune or no--that just feels like this movie poster. I feel like we never got enough science fiction on film that looked like it did in 70s comics and 80s Moebius drawings. I want more visual and psychological grandeur.

2. I feel like this is the perfect continuation from my favorite poster of last year. Last year it was taking that step into the world outside your door; leaving your comfort to find yourself and learn the real value of that comfort. This one's got a similar sense of foreboding and courage all at once. Finding the strength to take the next step. I really hope next year there's another one of these to make a thematic triptych.

1. Speaking of grand adventure: this is pretty much perfect. Whatever the movie quality, this poster is impeccable. I'd love a copy of this to hang in my living room.

Honorable mentions:

Last year I had another poster on my main list which was just a big character poster with Vanessa Hudgens, too. Kind of hoping for one of Baby V every year. And speaking of previous years, here they are: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006.

No comments: