Monday, December 16, 2013

Midseason TV Report

Really not much to report, but just a couple of observations.

:: I love that Eric Andre has been on 2 Broke Girls. I wish he'd stay on for a long time, but I wished that with Ryan Hansen and the show screwed me on that, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

:: I've been enjoying Mom more as it goes along. I haven't really been able to stop watching it. I think it's because of the way it's about recovery and it sort of ties in with my own therapy. They're finding the show and the right elements to focus on, I think. Why does every sitcom have a cast of thousands these days, though? Let's rein it in a bit.

:: I think I'm done with Trophy Mom. Love you, Malin, but the show's not rewarding enough for how all-over-the-place it is (another cast of thousands) and putting up with Marcia Gay Harden. Nothing against her as a professional, but her performance is so hard line and her character is so imperious that she just sets my teeth on edge. It's a drag to watch.

:: I saw someone complaining that doing an episode of Agents of SHIELD which tied into Thor: The Dark World (which, really, only just mentioned it rather than having anything to do with it) was making the Marvel Cinematic Universe "too bloated" and that he didn't want to have to watch a bunch of stuff just to keep current with the story, because "who has time?" My response is basically that (a) the MCU actually does a really great job of not making it absolutely integral that you've seen every single bit of it to enjoy the rest of it (yes, you might not know who everyone is right at the beginning of The Avengers, but it's also not really key, based on feedback I've seen), and that (b) you're basically going to get 22 episodes of a TV series, two movies, and maybe a couple of shorts in a given year. So, really, you're complaining that something like 30 or so hours of your life, spread out over an entire year, is a gigantic time commitment? Okay, but, no one's making you keep up, dude. Just don't watch it.

Oh, wait, then you'd have nothing to complain about. Silly me.

:: Thank you, Nashville, for apparently killing off Peggy. Can we do Teddy next?

:: I'm still loving everything on the grandly batshit American Horror Story: Coven with the exception of the little teenage witches and their teenage witch problems. Not so into it. It's like some half-baked version of X-Men. But Jessica Lange, Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates make up for everything that's not as great this time around. I concede a good deal of it is that witches have honestly never been that interesting to me.

:: Two weeks of no Parenthood and now we finally get one before the Christmas hiatus and there's no Joy Bryant in it? Not cool, NBC.

:: Saturday Night Live's been finding itself again the last few episodes. So many heavy-hitters at once left them with a vacuum, but they're finding their identity now. The first few episodes this season were rough, though. (That's a nice way of saying awful.)

:: I watched The Sound of Music Live on and off. I don't really care much for The Sound of Music, and I don't really care much for Carrie Underwood, who is a talented singer but not an actress. When they do this again next year--and I'm predicting The King and I because it's basically The Sound of Music in Asia--I hope they go for someone with more of a musical theater background. You know, I feel mean saying some of that, though, because it's not like she didn't try her hardest. She was game to do it, she's just inexperienced.

Stephen Moyer surprised me. After umpteen seasons of his silly Southern accent on True Blood, I expected a lot of overacting, but he overacted in just the right way. The only scene in The Sound of Music that I really like is the scene at the concert where he sings "Edelweiss" as an invocation of everything he loves about his homeland, which is now overrun by Nazis. It makes me emotional. And I thought Moyer pulled that off really, really well.

I like the idea of NBC doing stuff like this, trying to create TV events again. The Sound of Music isn't really my thing, but I see lots of people who liked it.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I HATEDE the TIME mag review of The Sound of Music. The ctritic was complaining it wasn't the movie, that the songs were in the wrong place, even though the musical did that originally. I'll have to write about it eventually, but - and this is more than faint praise - it wasn't awful as I heard it was. In particular, Max and the Countess were GREAT.

MC said...

My problem with Agents of SHIELD is Marvel has a huge palette of brushes and colors to work with in terms of villains and characters to work with and so far they really haven't been using them, especially since there are a lot of characters who would never make it into the Cinematic universe in a movie who would likely work well within the television series.

And this is coming from someone whose largest exposure to the Marvel characters in breadth is Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Lego Marvel Superheroes.

SamuraiFrog said...

Roger: I had that reaction for a second when they were doing "My Favorite Things" so early, and then I sort of had that moment of "Well, duh, they're doing the original stage version, not the movie."

MC: I've heard a lot of people say that, but it doesn't bother me. They've done little bits of them here and there and I'd rather they build up their original characters before just dropping them into a world of superheroes. I like the slow build, too; the idea that this is a thing that's still developing rather than immediately having hundreds of superpowered characters, which is the problem I have with the actual Marvel Universe itself. (It cuts down on the tension of who can do what and who will be able to defeat who when websites are able to build lists like "The 100 Most Powerful Marvel Characters.")

Anyway, it's only been 10 episodes, so I'm not impatient about it, and I find the mystery about Coulson's resurrection a lot more interesting than whether or not Hellcat will ever be on the show or whatever people are worried about. A live action show's never tried to introduce and adapt a comic book universe anymore, so I'll give it the patience it's asking for.

SamuraiFrog said...

Let me fix that: a GOOD live action show. Every episode of Smallville I ever saw I considered to be embarrassing. (ESPECIALLY that JSA episode I only watched just because Hawkman was going to be on it.)