Friday, November 29, 2013

The Soviet Winnie-the-Pooh

This is a wonderful find; the first of three animations based on Milne's character that were produced in the Soviet Union between 1969 and 1972. They were made by Fyodor Khitruk. I have to say I found this really enchanting; I love the design (sort of a descendant of UPA), and I love the character animation of Vinni Puh especially. It's a slightly different take, but the same spirit is there.

You can go to YouTube and click the "CC" button to see some very out of sync subtitles, but I almost prefer them without, because I get lost in the language, design and music. (I keep humming his song.) Besides, I'm pretty familiar with this particular tale.

3 comments:

bliss_infinte said...

Wow! Incredibly charming animation, Thanks for posting this.

Kal said...

I stole this from you because I thought I could goof on it over at the Cave of Cool. I have seen the Russian version of the Hobbit and that is a sight to see my friend. I thought this one would have the animation sensibilities of the classic Simpsons spoof, 'Worker and Parasite" But you are right This charmed the pants off me and I love the music. Even Piglet is good with his big pants.

SamuraiFrog said...

Haha, yes, I have seen the Russian Hobbit. That is just bizarre.