Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Five(ish) Doctors

I don't want to devote an entire post to it, but I did not like "The Day of the Doctor" episode. (To be fair, I expected I wouldn't; not because of my sour cynicism, but because I'm just not a fan of this current era of the show. Almost everyone I know loved it, though, so I'm glad they had such a good time. It just wasn't made for me. Oh, well. Maybe the next one will be. Such is the cycle of Doctor Who fandom.)

I did, however, absolutely adore Peter Davison's send-up/love letter, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. It was a good-natured ribbing of the current show, a celebration of its rich history, and god bless everyone involved (even Steven Moffat) for having a wonderful sense of humor about themselves.

The short film (a half-hour long) is playing on the BBC One site for the next 6 days. Go and see it.

9 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

Thanks for the link. Sorry, but I'm among those who went mental for Day of the Doctor. I had a small viewing party here for the world-wide simulcast, and there was cheering and laughing throughout and a standing ovation at the end. I'm seeing it again tomorrow in a theater in Imax 3-D.

SamuraiFrog said...

I don't know that it's necessary to apologize.

Tallulah Morehead said...

OK, apology retracted.

I just spent 30 minutes watching this video, and it is insanely wonderful! If Peter Davison did write the entire piece as it says than he is a previously-unsuspected comic genius. The sheer density of the gags is amazing. And I always nkew a long road trip by car with John Barrowman would involve him endlessly singing show tunes, and I would be so very fine with that.
Just bloody marvelous.

Tallulah Morehead said...

And how many bloody guests stars? 20? 30?

SamuraiFrog said...

Everyone was such a great sport, I'm really amazed by it. I think my favorite gag was the re-use of the same Shada footage they used in The Five Doctors 30 years ago. That was the most unexpected nod. (And any excuse to hear Barrowman sing... I love that man.)

I think what got the biggest laugh out of me, though, was just the moment when the three went into the TARDIS at the Doctor Who Experience and Peter Davison says "This isn't the real TARDIS." Colin Baker's faux-sincere "Really?" caught me by surprise.

Wonderful, wonderful short, and I sincerely hope it's a DVD extra.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Yes, I'm hoping it will be a DVD extra on the Day of the Doctor DVD, which I've pre-ordered anyway.

So did you love An Adventure in Space and Time anywhere near as much as I did?

SamuraiFrog said...

Ah, that I've not been able to watch yet. It's currently on my TiVo; I'm planning to watch it this afternoon after I've gotten back from therapy. I'm excited, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

SamuraiFrog said...

Update: I loved it.

Bob Rutledge said...

An Adventure in Space and Time was great.

The Day of the Doctor was (for me) great.

The Five(ish) Doctors was insanely fantastically incredibly wonderful!!! OMG, the funny.