Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

TAKEN 2 (2012)
The first film was surprisingly satisfying. This is a cash-in; a video game where pieces move around but it never adds up to anything. It doesn't even really manage to hold the attention very often. Also... Maggie Grace is 30 years old, guys. 30 years old. Why does this film insist on treating her character like she's 17? It's weirdly creepy. Meh. *1/2

ACTION JACKSON (1988)
So-so very 80s action thriller with Carl Weathers as a cop fighting some kind of criminal or other played by Craig T. Nelson. The most fun I had, other than the occasional nude appearance by Vanity, was occasionally humming a dark and dramatic version of the Coach theme song, because you kind of have to make fun of it to enjoy it. Of course my wife, the Tango & Cash fan, dug it, but I'm just not into it. Carl Weathers is always pretty awesome, though. **1/2

DISCO GODFATHER (1979)
Basically, it's like disco. At first it's fun, then you realize it's been going on forever, and then you just can't wait for it to be over. Fantastic disco freak-out scene in the beginning, though. **

THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (1961)
I don't usually care for werewolf flicks, but I liked Oliver Reed in this one and the moody Hammer atmosphere. I was surprised by how quickly it moved; lots of backstory, then something weird is going on, then Oliver Reed rampages as a wolfman, and then it's over. It seemed like it ended a little abruptly. But I had fun. Great makeup. ***

SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE (1973)
Captivating film about a married couple who seem to have the perfect marriage; but it begins to deteriorate, even as their love continues on some level, as though having been so intimate and touched one another so deeply, they can never truly separate, even through affairs, distance, and a divorce. Ingmar Bergman seems to be saying that even with time spent apart and involvement in new lives, a couple remains married in their souls and will always return to one another. The need for solace and intimacy remains. Excellent film, one of the most interesting films about love I've ever seen. Liv Ullman is typically powerful. ****

4 comments:

Yasmin said...

I started Taken 2 on a plane last week but didn't finish it. I liked the first one, too, but this one just didn't grab me at all. It was boring and you're right, pretending Maggie Grace is seventeen is just ridiculous. Or creepy, as you put it.

SamuraiFrog said...

Yeah, I just didn't get that. I was looking at her and Neeson's being protective about her boyfriend and they're keeping tabs on her and she's acting like a child and I'm thinking, wait, isn't she an adult? She's got to be 30, right? I looked it up and she's EXACTLY 30. Her parents are WAY too interested in whether she's a virgin. She's 30!

Tallulah Morehead said...

Curse of the Werewolf is a terrific film. It's based on a novel titled The Werewolf of Paris. Hammer moved it to Spain because they had a standing Spanish village set from another movie they'd just made. Did you spot Desmond Llewellyn, the original "Q" in the James Bond movies, as the footman who answers the Marquis's door and tries to warn the beggar to get away while he still could? Of course, the dessicated old Marquis was Anthony Dawson, whom Grace Kelley stabbed with scissors in Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder, and was evil professor Dent in Dr. No.

SamuraiFrog said...

I did see Desmond Llewellyn! There was no mistaking his voice, too. I've watched a lot of Bond, I guess, because I got excited when I heard him.