Friday, November 08, 2013

Brief TV Report

Not much to say this time, but I did want to mention that I saw the Sesame Street episode last week that had the Count Von Count tribute sketch that also served as a tribute to the late Jerry Nelson. The Noble Prize for Counting even featured Jerry's likeness on it! Even though I don't know a lot of the newer faces on the Street, the sketch made me very happy. We miss you, Jerry.

:: I dropped The Michael J. Fox Show about four weeks ago. Just couldn't get into it. Looks like a lot of America feels the same way. Look, NBC, you can take off your remaining good sitcom (Parks and Recreation) and try to shore up this show and that Sean Hayes piece of shit with as many episodes of The Voice and Saturday Night Live as you want, it's not gonna help. Just give me my Parks and Rec back.

:: Speaking of shows I can't get into, Orphan Black. I'm three episodes in now, and wow, is it ever overrated. It's the kind of show that would stop dead if anyone acted in any way other than just because the plot required it, or had a conversation for a second. I don't know if I even want to see the rest at this point.

:: Oh, like Alexander's not going to win MasterChef Junior tonight. That's been obvious since day one. I have nothing against the kid, and he seems quite talented, affable and clever, but they've been lavishing him with praise from the first minute. It really cuts out any of the surprise. That said, I like the kid contests way better than the adults: the kids aren't self-interested assholes playing up their worst traits for camera time.

:: The wife's got me watching Supernatural now. There's room to improve, but wow, Tumblr kind of makes me want to hate it out of hand sometimes.

:: I've been watching Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition on Lifetime, and I have to say, it's really hard when they focus so much on the contestant's mothers, because they are generally the worst. I'm actively rooting against kids I really like because their mothers are so awful that I just need them gone. This is a really good show to watch if you want to see the exact wrong way to encourage and support a child.

:: I've dropped a surprising amount of shows this season. If Melissa Rauch weren't on The Big Bang Theory, that show would be one of them.

:: So, regarding Saturday Night Live's issues about not having a black woman in the cast... On the one hand, I'm glad they addressed it. And it was the first mostly-good episode this season. But on the other hand, well... did they just create the impression that if they hire a black woman in the future it'll just be because they "don't have one"? I don't think SNL should run out and hire a black woman just to have one. What bothers me more is that SNL seems to exclusively pick cast members out of the pools of white upper middle class comedy schools. I'd like to see more viewpoints represented on the show. I find it refreshing and challenging. The older I get, the more ridiculous I think it is that America considers white upper middle class (particularly male) stories and points of view "universal" and "mainstream." I just get so bored with seeing the same thing over and over.

It's why I've dropped so many shows this season.

2 comments:

phoniexflames said...

I am happy to hear that you're giving supernatural a shot. are you starting from the beginning?

SamuraiFrog said...

Yeah, we watched the first six episodes, I think, on Netflix. I was very pleased to see Amy Acker on an episode.