Tuesday, October 01, 2013

It's Time for Halloween

It's October 1, and it's appropriately gloomy and cloudy out today. If it weren't for the fact that Becca has a cold, I'm recovering from the medication I had to go off, and the crybabies in Congress shut the government down because they didn't get their way, it would be a perfect kick off to the spooky month. The sky is gray, the leaves are hitting the ground, the temperature's dropping, and I'm in the mood for some scary movies.

We've been putting up our Halloween stuff. Here's a couple of pictures that tell you pretty much everything about my wife:


We've also been easing into the mood with some holiday food.

First, we did manage to find the five General Mills monster cereals (Franken Berry, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy) in their vintage packaging at Target, so after they've been emptied they're going into my cereal box collection. I'd never had Fruit Brute or Yummy Mummy before, and was surprised by the way they tasted. I expected Fruit Brute to be more like fruit punch, and I had no idea that Yummy Mummy tasted orange! It's kind of like an orange cream, Dreamsicle kind of flavor. I like that none of those cereals tastes overly sweetened, too. It doesn't hurt my teeth.

I also made a pumpkin pie for the first time ever. It's my favorite autumn staple, but I'd never tried to make one on my own before, but a few weeks ago I did just that and it turned out great. I had also never made a cheesecake before, so last week I made a pumpkin cheesecake.

And I also had one of these from the grocery store: a pumpkin donut.

Makes it seem like it's been nothing but sweets around here, but I've been waiting until October 1 to share all of this stuff. A lot of people started their Halloween Countdown early this year, but I decided to wait until now, because I'm not sure I'll be posting something for Halloween every day this year. We'll see how it goes.

But I've changed the banner (Kristen Bell in a horror movie, to the surprise of no one) and I'm getting in the mood, so we'll see what this year's Halloween brings. Hopefully the buspirone will be out of my system in the next day or two (it sure as hell wasn't last night) and I can go back to relaxing and enjoying my limited time on this planet and my favorite holiday of the year.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Happy start of Halloween season to you! Hope you have a great one.

Roger Owen Green said...

Never heard of those latter two cereals! I can tell now, you'll be in my October summary at some point; you always have been, as far as I can remember.