Monday, September 23, 2013

The Casual Vacancy

Well, I've been trying to read JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy, but I've just had enough of it.

So, this isn't really a review, it's just me saying that I started reading The Casual Vacancy, got about 170 pages in, and just decided not to finish. The book was due at the library, anyway. Rowling has a good grasp of character, it's just that none of the characters are particularly interesting, and most of it is just these unpleasant people priding themselves for being that much better than everyone around them. If I want to read things like that, I've already got the internet.

It's not poorly written. I like JK Rowling as a writer. I'd like to read The Cuckoo's Calling but that has 67 holds in my library system right now, so I'll wait a while for that. Like I said, her characters are fully realized, they're just all kind of loathsome on one or several levels. Interesting to read her writing for adults; it doesn't come across as forced or as precious as we always expect YA authors to come across when they're writing adult fiction, which is probably an unfair expectation, anyway. It's just... not fun. And not compelling. Nothing I'm reading is urging me to read on any further.

Time to move on.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I got a sample for my nook and I just couldn't enjoy it. Everyone was just so unlikable, and not in a funny or amusing way, just unenjoyable to follow.

I guess if I want more JK Rowling I will look forward to the Fantastic Creatures movies, because I'm always up for more Harry Potter world...

Kelly Sedinger said...

I had a similar reaction to Cuckoo's Calling. The characters aren't actually unlikeable; they're perfectly likeable. But Rowling's prose (which is often wonderful) doesn't match the kind of story she's trying to tell (a hard-boiled detective yarn), so there's a stylistic disconnect that I found it very difficult to move past.