Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

TO THE WONDER (2012)
Terrence Malick directed this film in much the same style as The New World (which I loved) and The Tree of Life (which I did not). This one made me wonder if I should see Tree of Life again and really give it another chance; I love what Malick does in this film (and in The New World), which is to unshackle himself from the demands of a narrative by attempting to evoke the feeling of a relationship at various stages rather than assign characters to a plot. It's hard to describe without sounding precious, I admit. But what Malick does here is attempt to convey emotions through imagery, through the tiniest bits of dialogue and inner monologue, as though we're watching some sort of dream. It looks beneath the surface and tries to see the place where our relationships to one another deteriorate, even as our environment deteriorates, and the things we look to in order to fill our days with meaning--love, family, religion, motivation--sometimes remain maddeningly elusive. Perhaps you have to be truly depressed to understand. I did. ****

THE BRASS TEAPOT (2012)
Enjoyable, well-paced, quirky movie about a struggling young couple (Juno Temple and Michael Angarano, lots of chemistry) who come into possession of a magic teapot that spits out money when they hurt themselves. It moves on from physical pain to witnessing/inflicting pain in others to emotional destruction, as we see what these two kids will do to one another and themselves simply to try and get a little ahead. Fun little movie, and I can't help it, I adore Juno Temple. ***

No comments: