Sunday, August 25, 2013

Song of the Week: "My Cup Runneth Over"

I can't believe I've been doing Song of the Week since 2006 and in all that time I've never had this up. I love this song; it's easily one of my favorites. And yes, it makes me a bit... let's say misty-eyed. It just makes me think about how temporary life can really be, and that a lot of its beauty comes from that temporal quality. Like in The Iliad: "Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed." That idea doesn't scare me a bit. It makes more grateful for what I have now.

And honestly, this song makes me think of my wife. I don't always feel like I have a lot in life, or a lot to offer people. Only moments of borrowed beauty and a fierce loyalty that is, right now, quite easily bruised. But she's been here for so long, and I still feel so lucky and so not worth the time she's spent with me. I can't always communicate how grateful I am that she would even put up with me and with what's going on my head right now. But as suicidal as I get, she always makes me look forward to tomorrow and to any more days I'm lucky enough to get to spend with her. It's been 18 and a half years. We're getting older and I've barely even noticed because through all of this agoraphobia and depression and anxiety, I'm just so happy to get to wake up with her every morning. I'll tell you right now, because I don't mind admitting it: sometimes I just cry thinking about how much she means to me and how happy I am to be a part of her life. She makes me better. She makes my life worth living.

So this is for her.

Jeez, this song really does make me emotional.

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Ya ol softie! I have this song, too, BTW, and it IS nice.

Starly said...

So sweet - tears are rolling down my cheeks now just reading your post. This song has always been a favorite of mine and so appropriate to your sentiment.