Monday, August 26, 2013

New Banner

As you can see, I changed the banner. It didn't feel right having Kristen in a bikini any more with things getting so autumnal here and on the internet. So I put up this screencap from Mad Men. That inscription is the kind of thing I'm trying to tell myself and get comfortable with again.

(I'll change the banner again in October, though, for Halloween. Really looking forward to Halloween this year, and everyone's getting into it so early. Don't want to overdo it. I foresee Kristen Bell on my October banner. I also see the sun rising and falling daily.)

4 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

Things sure aren't "Autumnal" out here in Southern California. Over 100 most days of the last (and this) week, and friggin' humid. People's air conditioners are even still going at midnight, because the humidity holds the heat.

SamuraiFrog said...

It's actually been the same here this week. On the other hand, living just a couple of blocks away from the college, we're overrun with students again, and that feels like the early start of fall to me. That and everyone on Tumblr is already posting about Halloween...

It sure was cool last week, now it's back up to 100+.

Oh, well.

Tallulah Morehead said...

My neice mentioned that her last kid was starting school again last week. (He 6th and youngest child beginning his senior year, so its my neice's last back-to-school-the-kids-are-out-of-my-hair day ever. And on top of that, she's becoming a grandmother even as I type. My grand-neice is in labor right now!) But I do not remember EVER starting school until after Labor Day.

As Ray Bradbury wrote: "Take September, a bad month: school begins, Consider August: a good month, school hasn't begun yet. July, well, July's really fine: no chance in the world for school. June, no doubting it, June's best of all, for the school doors spring wide and September's a billion years away."
- Something Wicked This Way Comes: Prologue
.

SamuraiFrog said...

Oh, man, I remember always starting in August. The kids here started last Thursday, which is always such a bizarre day to start. They do half of Thursday, then all of Friday, then they have a weekend.

I think they start this early because they have so many damn days off now. Looking at the district calendar for this school year, I see a LOT of "institute days" and the like.