Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

WHAT ON EARTH! (1966)
Great short animation from the National Film Board of Canada, a mockumentary from the viewpoint of Martians who have mistaken the automobile as Earth's dominant species. A clever skewering of car culture with a great design aesthetic. It was nominated for an Oscar, which it lost to Fred Wolf's The Box. ****

BAD EAR DAY (2013)
Funny short where Mickey Mouse loses his ears, which go on the run without him. Surreal and bizarre; it had a potential to be a little creepy, but some of the neat tricks they do with the sound editing really made it. I don't know if it's official, but I'm going to say that's Clara Cluck at the end, because the possibility of that makes me smile. ****

TOP HAT (1935)
Well... it's just not for me. I found it a bit tedious in that way of 1930s movies about rich people and rich things that tend to just not do it for me. Fred Astaire is a marvelous dancer, and the scenes of he and Ginger Rogers dancing are wonderful. Some of the production design is just gorgeous, particularly an elaborate Venice set that you could just get lost in. And, of course, the great Irving Berlin music. But it's just not my kind of picture, dance movie, or comedy. I'm glad to have finally seen it, and I see why it's so well-regarded, but except for the dancing, I just couldn't hook into it. **1/2

2 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Man, you TOTALLY missed an opportunity for a bad pun. Instead of "hook into" you could have written "hoof into." Dancing reference. Note the time of this post and please forgive me.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Top Hat is a favorite of mine, but its highly-stylized, almost fantastical setting can be a tough nut to crack, especially this many years after its release. I've got a darned good chance of seeing that movie turn 100!