Sunday, July 21, 2013

EW's 100 All-Time Greatest Movies

Entertainment Weekly apparently has another in its unending series of "100 greatest" issues out, and Roger commented on it in a recent post. And now I'm, well, basically doing the same thing. How's that for ineffectual set-up?

1. Citizen Kane (1941)
I do think it's a great film. Greatest ever? I doubt the film I think is the greatest ever will even be on this list. But I still do think Kane's reputation as the so-called greatest film ever made has only worked against it with film students and buffs over the years. I've never known many people who even liked it, but I have known a lot of people who watched it with a challenge in mind. "You're the greatest film ever made, eh? Alright. Impress me." I don't agree with the people who think it's boring, but I understand where they're coming from. Oh, well. No one else has to like it for me to love it as much as I do.

2. The Godfather (1972)
Another one of the greats. I, like a lot of people, stop and watch the whole movie if it's ever on television. I'd love to get this on Blu-Ray (I never had it on DVD). Excellent film, always compelling.

3. Casablanca (1942)
I love this movie to death, my wife thinks it's boring. We make our marriage work despite this.

4. Bonnie And Clyde (1967)
An excellent film, and a turning point in film history. This was a great movie to see as a teenager in the early 90s, because I'd never seen anything like it. True story: my grandfather saw Bonnie and Clyde's dead bodies soon after they were gunned down.

5. Psycho (1960)
Yes, excellent film. Nothing I disagree with so far. I've been in the mood to watch Psycho again since I saw Hitchcock a few weeks ago.

6. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)
James Stewart sacrifices his happiness and his feelings by putting others before himself, is ruined, reaches the depths of despair, can't see the happiness he has and has created, and is brought to the brink of suicide before realizing all the good he's done. Sounds like my current therapy sessions. I knew there was a reason I always related to this movie... One of my favorites, but I need a DVD of this or something, because I can't stand watching it over four hours on NBC with celebrities talking about their memories.

7. Mean Streets (1973)
Great flick, but 7 seems awfully high to me... I mean, this is what we're calling Scorsese's best now? Is it too obvious to say Goodfellas anymore? Because I say Goodfellas.

8. The Gold Rush (1925)
Roger says this was also #1 on the comedy list, which I don't agree with. Woody Allen was right when he said something like "Of all the great comedies, Duck Soup is the only one where there's never a dull moment." I do like this movie, but it's not even my favorite Chaplin movie. Here's what I remember the most about this movie, though. One time, when I was in high school and over at my Dad's for the weekend, I woke up early on a Sunday morning. My sister Ellen was still a baby, and she had also risen early. I could hear her in her crib, and Dad and my stepmom Katie weren't up yet, so I got Ellen up and took her into the living room with me. I turned the TV on and flipped through the channels a bit, and The Gold Rush was just starting. I hadn't actually seen it yet, so I sat there and, holding Ellen on my knee, we both watched the film. Ellen was, I think, just nearing a year old, and she was laughing at the movie. She thought Chaplin eating his shoe was particularly funny, and also the giant chicken. That's a nice memory.

9. Nashville (1975)
I've never been able to get into this movie.

10. Gone With The Wind (1939)
I know it has a lot of problems, but I get caught up in its epic sweep. I love it.

11. King Kong (1933)
I love this movie so much. One of my all time favorites.

12. The Searchers (1956)
Another of my favorite films ever, and easily the film that both best defines and transcends the Western genre.

13. Annie Hall (1977)
I have to admit, I've never really loved this movie. I like it a lot, but I've just never loved it. I like Manhattan more. The unfortunate thing about this film's success is that, still, to this day, my Mom loves it and thinks she's a Woody Allen film, expecting every film he makes to be Annie Hall, and then she's disappointed 90% of the time by his movies.

14. Bambi (1942)
My second-favorite film of all time, definitely my favorite Disney film or animated film. This one just sweeps through me and I love it. It's like a tone poem with gorgeous imagery. I wish Disney hadn't lost the darkness of this movie. This is a meditation on the cycle of life and all of that comes with it--the sadness and the joy. It's the combination of the wonder and the terror that makes me love the early Disney films more than any others.

15. Blue Velvet (1986)
An excellent film, and one I should see again. I think 15 is high, but that's just my opinion.

16. Singin’ In The Rain (1952)
I love this movie but, and I know it's heresy, I find An American in Paris more enjoyable. But the difference in how much I love them almost can't be measured by science. I'm particularly hungry to see this again lately, because I ended up watching Xanadu on Encore last week and now I just need to see a classic Gene Kelly movie, because watching Gene Kelly dance just makes me grin from ear to ear.

17. Seven Samurai (1954)
I feel like this is a movie that many people don't remember has slow patches. Not that it makes it bad, I just think it's interesting to see Roger say that this was number one on the list of action movies. I just don't think of it that way. I do think of it as one of the greatest movies ever made, though there are Kurosawa flicks I'm more partial to. I think my personal favorite is The Hidden Fortress. (TCM has been doing a Friday Night Spotlight on the films of Francois Truffaut; by the time July is over, they will have show almost all of Truffaut's films except, I think, for Fahrenheit 451. I REALLY hope they do one of these for Kurosawa.)

18. Jaws (1975)
I saw this movie so many times when I was younger that I actually got sick of it. Then seeing it on Blu-Ray was like seeing it for the first time, and now I love it again. It just needed to be refreshed. It's more or less a perfect movie.

19. Pulp Fiction (1994)
I posted about this recently. One of my favorites, and a touchstone in my life.

20. The Sorrow and the Pity (1969)
All I know about this movie is that it's a four hour documentary about the Holocaust that Woody Allen keeps taking Diane Keaton to see in Annie Hall. I've never come across this for viewing, but I'd be open to it. It's quite acclaimed.

21. Some Like It Hot (1959)
Great stuff.

22. Toy Story (1995)
You know, I admit, I always like this movie, but I'm starting to get a little weary when it gets brought up, in an "Aren't we over that yet?" sort of way. Not to be a condescending dick about it, but I guess my not being enamored with Toy Story 3 is kind of affecting my relationship with the other two.

23. Notorious (1946)
Interesting that this is the highest Hitchcock movie. It's an excellent movie, but I would've put a few of his other movies over this one, particularly Vertigo or North by Northwest.

24. The Sound of Music (1965)
I like Julie Andrews in this, but give me a break. I haven't been able to watch this in any serious way since I was about 8.

25. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Another one of the all time great films that a lot of people I know don't like. I'll always be grateful to my Mom for showing me this when I was in high school.

26. Bicycle Thieves (1948)
This is a great film, but I see it on lists like this so often that I'm starting to wonder if this is a movie that anyone actually watches anymore, or if it's just something they see in college and then laud forever because they don't actually see many foreign films. I have zero idea why I'm so cynical about it, I just think it's interesting that this is such a constant and yet no one ever talks about it in terms of what it actually is, which is just a masterful emotional experience. That ending really stays with you forever.

27. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Great film that I haven't seen in many a year and would love to see again.

28. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Of course I love this movie. I used to watch it every year, but I haven't seen it in a good long while. I have it on DVD, looks like it's time to break it out again.

29. North By Northwest (1959)
Excellent.

30. Sunrise (1927)
It's become very in vogue the past couple of years to say that you love this film. I'm not sure why. It is a great film, but I didn't see it until a few years ago when it was on TCM. What happened that suddenly made this everyone's go-to silent film? Excellent movie, but I don't think it would be on my own list of the 100 Greatest Movies.

31. Chinatown (1974)
I love this movie and was actually recently in an argument with a friend of mine over why I thought this movie deserved to win the Best Picture Oscar over The Godfather, Part II.

32. Duck Soup (1933)
I love the Marx Brothers, but this is undoubtedly their best. This is the peak. One of the greatest movies ever made.

33. The Graduate (1967)
I've always liked it, but I've never loved it. It was already pretty dated when I saw it in high school. Of course, I didn't have my big existential crisis until I was in my thirties, so who knows?

34. Adam’s Rib (1949)
I hate this movie. I've never found it funny.

35. Apocalypse Now (1979)
I used to love it, then I thought it was overrated for a long, long time. I've made my peace with it and rediscovered it, and I do think it's quite an achievement in film.

36. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
The regard for this film seems to be growing of late. It's an excellent movie. One of the best, I think.

37. Manhattan (1979)
This is my personal favorite Woody Allen movie. I concede that some of that has to do with Gershwin.

38. Vertigo (1958)
A masterpiece. I'm seeing a lot of college kids recently who just don't like this film at all, and I have to suppress the urge to be a dick about it, I admit. Smug college brats.

39. The Rules of the Game (1939)
I used to work with a guy who felt this was "the actual greatest movie ever made." He'd tell you that if you ever brought up Citizen Kane. Every time this shows up on the Sight & Sound list, there are always people who are very hostile about how they've never heard of it. SEEK IT OUT. It's a wonderful movie.

40. Double Indemnity (1944)
Excellent movie. Some of the best dialogue in history.

41. The Road Warrior (1981)
What an unusual choice; I'm surprised to see it with a spot here, to be honest. I love this movie, I think it's one of the best movies of its kind, but I don't know that it would even make my list of 100 Greatest Movies. Very interesting.

42. Taxi Driver (1976)
It's a good modern Western, quite a good one, but I do think it's wildly overrated.

43. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
I'll just go ahead and assume what they mean here is the entirety of The Lord of the Rings, because, come on. And I agree.

44. On the Waterfront (1954)
I've never really been a fan of this one.

45. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
Great film, but I feel like this one's a bit overrated, too. I get why, though. The idea of actually having an honest, idealistic politician in office is pretty appealing.

46. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
One of my all time favorites. I love this movie to pieces. It always makes me feel good.

47. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Well-made, but overrated, especially by teenagers who think loving it is transgressive and rebellious and not just one of the cliches of being young.

48. It Happened One Night (1934)
It's cute, but I've never felt the need to see it a second time.

49. Goldfinger (1964)
My favorite pre-reboot Bond flick is still From Russia with Love.

50. Intolerance (1916)
A film of historical importance, but sometimes it's a slog to sit through.

51. A Hard Day’s Night (1964)
Love this movie. One of my all-time favorite comedies, bar none.

52. Titanic (1997)
I re-watched that a while ago and was surprised by just how badly it held up. I know a lot of you remember, because some people still give me shit about it.

53. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Indeed. I think both this and the original deserve to be here.

54. Breathless (1960)
Excellent. As an adult, I find much more in Godard than I did as a snotty teenage film buff.

55. Frankenstein (1931)
I like this movie, but The Bride of Frankenstein is the one that has my heart. I like most of the Universal Frankenstein pictures.

56. Schindler’s List (1993)
I would like to see this again and see how it holds up. I used to love everything Spielberg did, and then became disillusioned with him and his cavalcade of daddy issues, which is certainly something this film springs out of. I haven't seen it since about 1995, so I'd like to see it again and see how I feel now. One of my favorite scores of all time.

57. Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Bleak. I haven't seen it since high school.

58. The Seventh Seal (1957)
Iconic, and Bergman's most well-known, but I liked a few of the films surrounding it much better--Smiles of a Summer Night, Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring. I wonder how often anyone sees The Seventh Seal. I don't hear many people ever talking about Bergman much.

59. All the President’s Men (1976)
I saw it in high school and didn't care much for it. I'd like to see it now as an adult.

60. Top Hat (1935)
I've not seen this, but I think it's actually on TCM tomorrow... It's on some time this week, and my TiVo is set to record it.

61. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
I always thought this was so overrated, and I hated it for a long time. I saw it again a couple of months ago on HBO and was surprised by how quickly it pulled me in and how much I enjoyed it. I like it much better on the level of a horror film than a suspense thriller. I still say Anthony Hopkins overacts in it, but if you take him to be playing a Universal monster, it works in that context.

62. E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
My favorite film of all time. I found the ending cathartic. This movie is pretty much all of the highs and lows of my childhood with an end that feels like accepting it all and letting it go. This is the movie I watch when I get sick or impossibly depressed. I cry every time. Not the picture I alluded to at the beginning (the one I consider the Greatest Movie Ever Made), but my favorite movie.

63. Network (1976)
I should see it again. I saw it in high school and found it completely boring.

64. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
I only saw this for the first time a few years ago, but it blew me away.

65. Last Tango in Paris (1973)
I hate this movie.

66. The Shining (1980)
I just always felt it was too mean and cruel to get into, and just too obvious. I'd honestly like to see this again now and see if I can find something in there, but I've just always written this one off.

67. Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
I see this every once in a while. I always feel like dismissing it, but then I see it and everything about being an angry, unmotivated teenager caught up in the unfairness of life just floods back to me, and it's amazing how well the film captures that feeling.

68. GoodFellas (1990)
There we go. Excellent film.

69. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying about the Bomb (1964)
Yet another of those movies I love that almost no one I know likes. I still think it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and I have to admit I'm always just a little disappointed when someone doesn't. I don't hold it against them, or anything, but come on, it's hilarious.

70. L’Avventura (1960)
I've never seen this. I keep hoping it'll eventually show up on TCM or something. Antonioni did make Blow Up, which absolutely should be on this list.

71. American Graffiti (1973)
I'm with Roger; I like it, but I'm not convinced it belongs here. I think it's a great film, but one of the 100 greatest? Not sure.

72. The 400 Blows (1959)
I like it, but I think Truffaut made better films. And even having just recently seen all of the Doinel films, I liked Bed and Board better.

73. Cabaret (1972)
An excellent movie that I've nevertheless always found hard to love. I think it deserves the acclaim and Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey are excellent, and it's such a well-made movie, but I've just never really loved it.

74. The Hurt Locker (2009)
An excellent movie that won the Oscar and we all just immediately forgot about. It is an excellent film, I stand by that, but I think it's just an attempt to be current to even have this on this list. I don't see it as belonging here.

75. Touch Of Evil (1958)
Excellent movie. I still love it.

76. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
This is the movie I consider the Greatest Movie Ever Made. I know it's long, I know most people find it boring, but I am utterly swept up in this film.

77. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
I like it, but I've never loved it.

78. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Absolutely.

79. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Yes. Excellent.

80. Dazed and Confused (1993)
Eat me. I've never understood what people like about this stupid movie.

81. Blade Runner (1982)
I'm torn on this. I loved the Final Cut version, but not the previous versions, so it's kind of hard to say the original release version is one of the greatest movies of all time, because I don't think it is. But that Final Cut version really blew me away.

82. Scenes From a Marriage (1973)
Was honestly not expecting two Bergman films. Excellent, but depressing.

83. The Wild Bunch (1969)
I love this movie. Ernest Borgnine's "It ain't your word, it's who you give it to" moment has always stuck with me. Growing up, this movie redefined masculinity for me, because it was the first one to make me think that maybe keeping your word wasn't the end-all, be-all indication of being a man. You have to ultimately be responsible for your actions, and "I was just following orders" is merely abdicating that responsibility. That was pretty heady for me as a teenager.

84. Olympia (1938)
I haven't seen it. That's not a film I expected to find on this list. I admit, it plays more like a trendy outside choice.

85. Dirty Harry (1971)
I've always liked this movie, but Clint Eastwood was being disingenuous when he dismissed the criticism that it's got a fascist streak.

86. All About Eve (1950)
A delight. I didn't see this until a few years ago. It was excellent to sit and discover this movie for myself. It is actually always wonderful to see a movie that's so highly-regarded and actually fall in love with it and say "I see what everyone was talking about now."

87. La Dolce Vita (1960)
I saw this in high school and didn't care for it. In fact, I didn't like it so much that I became dismissive of Fellini entirely. In the past decade, I've discovered that I actually like Fellini very much, thank you. So I need to finally see this again and reassess as an adult. If you asked me what my favorite Fellini movie is, I'd say Nights of Cabiria.

88. The Dark Knight (2008)
Ugh, no. And it won't hold up, either.

89. Woodstock (1970)
A historic event with wonderful music, but are they responding to the film itself or the event? I don't know that I would put it on this kind of list.

90. The French Connection (1971)
I've never been able to like this film, and brother, I have tried. I've never been able to make it all the way through without getting bored. What am I missing here? I actually don't like Friedkin that much in general. I hate The Exorcist.

91. Do The Right Thing (1989)
Thanks, Roger, for giving me and my recent reevaluation of the film a shout-out in this entry. Roger picks the best word for this film: tremendous. I would add important to the list of descriptives.

92. The Piano (1993)
Thank your for that. I thought people had forgotten this movie. A masterpiece, and one of my favorites. I saw this in a little independent theater seven times in my senior year of high school.

93. A Face in the Crowd (1957)
Excellent film. And again I agree with Roger, it plays very, very well today. It's still very relevant.

94. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
I disagree with Roger on this one, though: I do feel this belongs on this list. I think this is the best film of the last decade. When I made my list of My 100 Favorite Films of 2001-2010, it was number one. There's something about the lonely yearning of it, and the way Ennis has to hide who he is and how he feels, that I very much relate to.

95. Rushmore (1998)
I never liked this.

96. Sullivan’s Travels (1941)
I saw this in the last year and didn't like this, either.

97. Diner (1982)
There are a lot of excellent films out there, and this list just feels like it's petering out. I don't like this flick.

98. All About My Mother (1999)
I still haven't seen this, but there are a number of Almodovar films that I like.

99. There Will Be Blood (2007)
A masterpiece.

100. Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
Also a great movie. This was really a pleasure to see for the first time a few years ago on TCM. One of my favorite Tony Curtis performances.

6 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

Re: Citizen Kane and your comment: "I've never known many people who even liked it."

REALLY? Because I know few people who do not like it very much indeed. I love it, so add me to your tiny list of people you know who like it. (How can anyone not like it?)

I consider The Godfather Parts 1 & 2 to be one long movie, a total masterpiece. (And frankly, I do not hate Godfather III as much as everyone else on earth does, though it's certainly below it's older brothers. I have all 3 in my DVD collection, and had them in VHS as well. (I gave the VHS copies away when I bought the DVDs.)

Bonnie and Clyde was also a great film to see as a teenager when it came out. I was 17 when it was released, and I too (and everyone else back then) had never seen anything like it. Rewatched it recently and it holds up. I still think Gene Hackman steals it.

Great as The Gold Rush is (And I've rewatched it recently), City Lights and Modern Times are better.

Re: Singin' in the Rain vs An American in Paris, I'm in the Singin' in the Rain camp. I went to see An American in Paris in a theater once, and I swear, I fell sound asleep during the endless ballet. I can not conceive of falling asleep during Singin' in the Rain. Like Duck Soup, there is not a dull moment. There certainly is in AAIP.

Personal anecdote re: Jaws: I visited the lab where it was restored (Fittingly, in the basement of The Hitchcock Building on the Universal lot) during its restoration a year and a half ago, and met the men doing the restoration, and I was priviledged to see and touch, actually touch, the camera negatives of Jaws, the actual film that went through the cameras. To me, it was a holy relic.

I lived for two years in the apartment building where Travolta and Jackson get the suitcase in Pulp Fiction. The interiors were used in the film, not sets. When they're in the elevator, they're in the real eleavator I rode a thousand times. (But I loathe the movie.)

"23. Notorious (1946)
Interesting that this is the highest Hitchcock movie."


Did your concentration slip? You've forgotten Psycho at #5.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Continuing:

I've never seen The Sound of Music quite intentionally, as I know I would hate it. I don't want to run the risk of finding myself rooting for the Nazis.

I am among those who love 2001, though I know many who find it boring, including Ken Levine. Saw it in its original release about 7 times. You could get high just by walking into the men's room at intermission and taking a deep breath.

Just last week I had a home OZ Festival, and rewatched The Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz, and Oz the Great and Powerful all in one day. My most prized possession is my Wizard of Oz one-sheet signed to me by Margaret Hamilton. Twice I've encountered (and touched) the witch's hourglass from that movie. And for another holy object, I once saw on display (right by the hourglass) a pencil framed on a sheet of paper on which, hand-written in pencil, were these words: "With this pencil, I wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. L. Frank Baum." The pencil was worn down to two inches and discolored by long hand-holdng.

Manhattan creeps me out. It's a defense of Woody's pedophila in advance. None of my friends could understand why I found this middle-aged man screwing a high school girl to be revolting. The best written, shot and scored defense of statutory rape I've ever seen. Yes, great music. I have the sountrack album but will never watch the film again. Soon Ye should have surprised no one. Manhattan was Woody's love letter to screwing teenage girls.

On the Waterfront is a great film, but it is also Elia "The Rat" Kazan's movie-length defense of ratting people out. He's trying to make his craven cowardice before the McCarthy Hearings into something fine and noble.

I do not think A Clockwork Orange is overrated, and I ain't no teenager. I wasn't even quite still a teenager when it came out.

When I read this issue I was shocked that they had Frankenstein and not Bride of Frankenstein. Frankenstein is an unmistakably great, though flawed, movie, but Bride is far greater, a masterpiece without flaws. If they're only go to list one, it should be Bride.

I just saw The Seventh Seal for the first time, and while it's unquestionably a masterpiece, it's so bleak and joyless I can not imagine watching it a second time.

Oh, see Network again. Not only does it hold up, but it predicts TV as it is now with UNCANNY accuracy. Look at it. It's not about TV then; it's about TV NOW!

Where do you even find people who do not love Dr. Strangelove? It's one of my favorites, and everyone I know considers it a masterpiece.

I just rewatched Lawrence of Arabia again about three weeks ago. How can anyone find any part of it boring? The photography alone should keep one riveted.

I loathe Dirty Harry.

Here's where I'm an anomaly: I love Preston Sturgis and hate Sullivan's Travels. Not funny and simplistic. Message: Laughing makes the misery of life more bearable. I already knew that. I'd put The Lady Eve and The Palm Beach Story on the list but not this film.

SamuraiFrog said...

I do also like Godfather III.

Re: Notorious and Psycho: yep.

The problem for A Clockwork Orange and my generation (and now these Millennials) is that apparently it was supposed to make you cooler saying you liked it. I liked it, but I've never thought the mere act of seeing and appreciating something made me more interesting. I read the novel for a psych class in high school and liked that, too.

Roger Owen Green said...

I feel almost guilty about Brokeback. Maybe I was tired that day, but it felt like forever to get started.

I haven't seen The French Connection since it first came out; maybe I should see it again. Or maybe not, because it might disappoint...

Kal said...

Just a few thought

LOVE - Face in the Crowd. I watched that one after Andy Griffith died and it blew me over. You are right about it being more relevant today than ever.

Becca finds CASABLANCA boring? That one threw me for a second. I will try not to hold it against her.

The Sound of Music has a special relationship with this movie. They love watching me trip out on the progressively elaborate puppet show that these Austrian orphans put on. It's amazes me every year how I find new things to mock about it. But I love this movie so.

I think THE ROAD WARRIOR got on the list because of all the really crappy movies that TRIED to be this movie. If you remember at the time it was a gem that people took a long time to discover. I saw it as the THIRD movie at a Drive-In and it blew me away. That road race is tension upon tension.

I actually prefer the 80s bad remake of BREATHLESS with Aiden Quinn and Daryll Hannah to Godard. I know that makes all my opinions null and void.

Dr. Strangelove was in the top ten of my Dad's favorite movies. It was the first video he bought to show me this film he remembered from back in the Army. I am not a fan of Peter Sellers but I love him in this and Catch the Thief...but that one has Victor Mature who I love also.

Once again your opinions are interesting and I love when you do these lists. I suspect you will be onto the best of TV next?

Tallulah Morehead said...

The movie with Peter Sellers and Victor Mature is called After The Fox. Funny movie. Kubrick said of Sellers in Strangelove: "I got three actors for the price of four." At his best, there's no one better. Unfortunately, Sellers was DEEPLY mentally ill, and did everything he could to sabatoge himself. After about the first Pink Panther movie, almost everything he made except Being There was absolutely terrible, because Peter sabotaged movie after movie after movie. After The Fox is funny, but a mess. It's doubtful that Casino Royale was ever going to be anything but a lump of shit, but Sellers managed to make it worse, by one day walking off the set and never returning. They used already-shot footage to "explain" why the leadng man just plain disappears mid-movie. He would not appear onset with Orson Welles (Because he was terrified of him) so their scene together was shot with them each separately. There is no shot of the two of them together in the film.

Offscreen, Sellers was toxic, and did everything he could to make all around him miserable. Horrible human being with a huge talent. His biography reads like a psychological horror novel.

Right after A Clockwork Orange came out, I read teh novel. At teh time I was writing aweekly humor column in my college newspaper. I wrote a column (Titled "A Clockwork Orange County") entirely in the droog language one week. Well, everyone said they loved the movie and loved the book. Turned out, more peopel were saying they'd read it than actually had, as most everyone, except the handful who actually had read the book, found my column unintelligable.

A Face in the Crowd is a great movie. My friend, former-boss and mentor, the comedian "Sweet Dick" Whittington (Los Angeles radio comedy legend) has always listed it as his favorite movie. I also watched it again right after Griffith's death, and it holds up. Loveable, warm Andy chills your blood in it.