Thursday, June 20, 2013

James Gandolfini 1961-2013

It just seems so wrong. It seems wrong when an actor who is still so vital, still always working, still in the prime of a career, dies suddenly. 51 is too damn young to go. I remember seeing Gandolfini in Get Shorty in 1995 and thinking this guy's time was coming. I had already been struck by him in True Romance. And though I didn't really watch The Sopranos (maybe one day), I was glad to see his talents put to use somewhere that worked for him. A couple of years ago, he starred in Welcome to the Rileys, one of my favorite movies of the decade. I found him very moving in that, and I'm sorry he won't ever get to do something like that again. It's just too damn young.

1 comment:

Yano Solong: Reality Architect said...

If you have enjoyed him at all in the past (just as I did with Get Shorty and True Romance) you really owe it to yourself to watch the Sopranos. I finally did last year and it was a great time in my life. As someone said yesterday, he is undoubtedly the finest actor ever to work in TV, especially as the star of a series. Also by all accounts a lovely human being.