Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Random Thoughts

:: So, if Belloq was going to take the Ark of the Covenant back to Berlin (in 1936) and Hitler was going to open it right in the heart of Nazi Central, but Indiana Jones trying to steal it made Belloq decide to open it on a remote island instead, does that make Indiana Jones indirectly responsible for World War II and the Holocaust?

:: So, Jay-Z is producing this update of Annie, and I saw a bunch of articles making fun of the fact that they're renaming Daddy Warbucks, calling him Benjamin Stacks. The character is now a Diddy type of hip hop mogul or whatever weird term they're using now. I just thought it was weird to see people slagging off what I thought was actually a clever decision, and I usually don't think modernizing things is that clever. I mean, you guys are telling me that calling a rich guy "Benjamin Stacks" as in a stack of hundred dollar bills is somehow inherently sillier than calling a rich guy who made his money in defense contracts "Oliver Warbucks"? It's kind of exactly the same thing. Whatever, people love to complain, I just thought it was clever.

:: Because I didn't have a low opinion of Anne Rice already?

: I'm having unjustified backlash feelings about nerd stuff these days. I think it's just because I see so much stuff on Tumblr and other websites where feelings about genre television, movies, etc, keep getting turned into a weird kind of conformed groupthink. I don't know if anyone else feels this way. It's just rubbing me the wrong way a little bit, because I still remember how different it was when I was a kid, back when being yourself meant taking a lot of shit if you were a nerd. I can't believe we still have to put up with the stereotyped shit of the "Game of Game of Thrones" sketch on this weekend's Saturday Night Live where everyone who's into something geeky is supposedly a creepy loser shut-in, and yet our stuff is the stuff everyone's talking about. Gee, maybe we're not a stereotype after all.

And yet, we have these people who want to wear it like it's some kind of badge of honor to be "different," but they all are starting to think exactly the same way, which kind of sucks when you feel like the only guy in the room who doesn't like Firefly. So much of it is people patting themselves on the back for "daring" to be different. Yeah, it takes real courage to be "different" when the biggest movies in the world have been superhero movies for years now.


I really want to like this movie, but that cheesy narration isn't doing the visuals any favors. I also keep hearing there may be human characters in this, which would kill my interest. Is it really too much to ask that someone do a film about dinosaurs with no human presence? You really don't need to hold my hand. Where's that Raptor Red movie I've been waiting for for 15 years?

:: Now there's a lawsuit against the makers of the Aliens: Colonial Marines video game. I'd heard it was a real disappointment; apparently someone's suing on the grounds that the demos were so different that it constitutes false advertising. Do we really live in a world now where people will file lawsuits over disappointment with a video game? I guess we do, because this isn't the first time it's happened in the last couple of years. That says to me that video games are just way too expensive. Because as much as I have the instinct to be the guy who says "Well, that's a frivolous way to deal with disappointment," if I dropped sixty or eighty bucks on a video game and it was incredibly unsatisfying, I'd be pretty pissed off, too.

:: You know, after hearing it 20 or 30 times, I'm not buying this story that Bill Murray did Garfield because he thought writer Joel Cohen was actually Joel Coen. Come on, Bill. Really? You're telling me you didn't even read it until you sat down in the booth to record it? I'd be willing to believe it if you hadn't done a second one. You know, it doesn't make you any less cool if you just admit you did it for the money. It's really okay. Stop telling this desperate, unbelievable story and just say "Eh, did it for the money." We're all okay with that. Sometimes you have to do things for money. Big fat hairy deal.

2 comments:

Joe Owen said...

Just would like to clarify that it's the publisher of Colonial Marines that is suing, as they front the money for distribution and manufacturing of the final product, which they felt were over sold to them, and did not provide a return on investment. Doesn't take away from you overall point, just wanted to make clear that this is not a case of gamers suing for a dissapointing experience, as some other previous cases were.

SamuraiFrog said...

Oh, wow, I hadn't even read that bit. That's a very interesting difference in that story.