Friday, May 10, 2013

My 100 Favorite Films of the 1960s: The Top 20

The thrilling conclusion!

20. Yellow Submarine (1968)
One of my favorite animated films. I bet this must look great on Blu-Ray, because it looks amazing on my old DVD.

19. To Sir, with Love (1967)
I think Sidney Poitier should have won an Oscar for this film.

18. Jason and the Argonauts (1964)
One of my Dad's all time favorites, and one of mine. RIP Ray Harryhausen.

17. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
With this and Repulsion and The Tenant, you've got an interesting series of films about living in apartments. What happened to Polanski in an apartment?

16. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

15. A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum (1966)
One of my all time favorite comedies, a movie that makes me laugh constantly, but not Richard Lester's highest placed film on my list.

14. The Birds (1963)

13. Ersatz (1961)
Look for this short animation on YouTube, too, it's really worth it.

12. The Wild Bunch (1969)
The great Western film of the 1960s.

11. A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Richard Lester's highest placed film on my list. Breezy, full of personality, very funny, and it ends with a Beatles concert.

10. Contempt (1963)

9. The Leopard (1963)
Burt Lancaster's greatest performance, even if he is dubbed by an Italian actor.

8. The Pink Phink (1964)
The highest placed animation on my list is the first Pink Panther cartoon, but for some reason it always catches me off guard and makes me laugh and laugh. Beautifully animated in a minimalist style, too.

7. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A transcendent film, even if only one other person I know in real life agrees with me. Sigh.

6. The Lion in Winter (1968)
Some of the most exciting acting I've ever seen in a film is Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn trying to get at one another in this film.

5. Onibaba (1964)
Riveting and passionate.

4. One, Two, Three (1961)
Probably the most enjoyable comedy I know.

3. Blow-Up (1966)
Powerful.

2. West Side Story (1961)
My Dad really hates this movie. In fact, most people I know really, really do not like this movie.

1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Well, since I often cite this as my second or third favorite film ever made, that can't be much of a surprise. I do dearly love this film, and now that I've got the music going through my head, I at least need to hear the score.

If you'll excuse me...

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

So I should see more films of the 1960s. though I've seen bits of 1, 12, and 15, the ones I would say I REALLY saw were 20, 19, 17, 16, 14, 11, and 7, all but 16 in the theaters at the time.

valeria vito said...

♥ Yellow Submarine

Josh Rothberg said...

Excellent list! Between this one and the 1960's albums, I've got a lot of great entertainment to dig through. Thanks very much!

Roger Owen Green said...

My favorite movie NOT on your list: Z (1969)