Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My 100 Favorite Albums of the 1960s: 60-41

60. Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful, The Lovin' Spoonful (1966)
This is my favorite album of theirs all the way through, and it has my second favorite Spoonful song, "Darling Companion."

59. Crosby, Stills & Nash, Crosby, Stills & Nash (1969)
This album and Deja Vu compliment each other so perfectly.

58. Sammy Davis, Jr. at the Cocoanut Grove, Sammy Davis, Jr. (1963)
A great, very jazzy set. Love the bongo-driven medley of songs from West Side Story.

57. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (1969)

56. The Kinks, The Kinks (1964)

55. To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With, Bill Cosby (1968)
It's mainly that second side, which is like a great spoken word autobiography.

54. Hot Buttered Soul, Isaac Hayes (1969)

53. Sinatra at the Sands, Frank Sinatra (1966)
This is basically the Sinatra concert of my dreams, and I love his banter with the audience. It's a great album to listen to as the sun goes down and just relax with.

52. Younger Than Yesterday, The Byrds (1967)

51. Please Please Me, The Beatles (1963)
I love how raw the Beatles sound on this recording.

50. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash (1968)
Man, there really are a lot of great live albums in the 1960s...

49. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin (1969)

48. With a Little Help from My Friends, Joe Cocker (1969)

47. David Bowie, David Bowie (1969)
A little rough, but this has a couple of my favorite early Bowie songs, and of course "Space Oddity."

46. I'm the Greatest Comedian in the World, Only Nobody Knows It Yet!, Jackie Mason (1962)
Jackie Mason's self-deprecating comedy is very, very easy to relate to and very, very funny.

45. Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles (1967)

44. Reach Out, The Four Tops (1967)
Mostly I think of the Four Tops as a singles band, but this album is pure excellence from start to finish.

43. Aerial Ballet, Harry Nilsson (1968)

42. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young (1970)

41. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You, Aretha Franklin (1967)

Tomorrow: lots of obvious choices, 40-21.

3 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic!

It's funny. You have albums around what I had. I didn't have that Lovin' Spoonful album, but I DID have Daydream, which surely would be on my list. I got To Russell much later than the other Cosby albums I've mentioned. Again, sophisticated taste: Frank, Sammy, neither of whom I have except in compilations. I have far fewer of this particular group: 59, 57, 55, 54, 51-48, 45, 44, 42. But most - Zeppelin, CSNY, Beatles would be on my list, esp After the Gold Rush, which was one of my favorite albums freshman year of college- When You Dance was my song to my girlfriend, later my wife (and still later, ex-wife).

Roger Owen Green said...

OK - I'll make one guess in the next grouping: Aftermath by the Rolling Stones (you just played Stupid Girl)

SamuraiFrog said...

Good guess, but it didn't make the list. There IS, however, a Stones album in the next grouping. I was surprised more Stones didn't make it on, but I guess I kind of think of them as a singles band until around 1967 or 1968.