Thursday, April 25, 2013

My 100 Favorite Albums of the 1960s: 40-21

40. Sunflower, The Beach Boys (1970)
What I think of as the mid-point of the Beach Boys period I love, and includes two of my favorite songs, "This Whole World" and "Forever."

39. Revolver, The Beatles (1966)
The first psychedelic Beatles album still sounds really damn good.

38. The Doors, The Doors (1967)
Dreamy.

37. Odessey and Oracle, The Zombies (1968)
This has so far been a collection of great psychedelic music... Dreamy string arrangements and reverb echoes. Totally my scene.

36. Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan (1964)

35. The Beatles, The Beatles (1968)
AKA the White Album.

34. Music from Big Pink, The Band (1968)

33. The Smothers Brothers at the Purple Onion, The Smother Brothers (1961)
This is my highest-ranking comedy album of the decade.

32. Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul, Otis Redding (1965)
Of all Otis' albums, this is the one that's the best listening experience. No lulls at all.

31. McCartney, Paul McCartney (1970)
I don't think he ever sounded this good again, honestly. But Paul's solo music really isn't my kind of stuff.

30. Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones (1968)
For a little while in my senior year of high school, I'd psych myself up to face the day with "Street Fighting Man."

29. Abbey Road, The Beatles (1969)
It may indeed be a bunch of half-songs, but listening to them all at once is like being carried away on a cloud, man.

28. Pleasures of the Harbor, Phil Ochs (1967)
This album has Ochs' most damning song ("Outside of a Small Circle of Friends") and his most desperately beautiful ("I've Had Her").

27. People Get Ready, The Impressions (1965)
One of the real pleasures of doing this project was getting to listen to a lot of great soul albums I'd just never heard before. I had a real gap in my experience for not having listened much to the Impressions. It's another one of those instances of feeling a little foolish for missing out on this great music, but being thrilled to experience a great deal of it for the first time.

26. Help!, The Beatles (1965)

25. September of My Years, Frank Sinatra (1965)
The strongest and deepest of Sinatra's concept albums, this one his feelings about turning 50 and looking back on his life and toward a future. I think this was probably his last truly great album.

24. John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon (1970)
Lennon at his most raw.

23. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, Derek & the Dominoes (1970)

22. Axis: Bold as Love, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
Has my favorite Hendrix song, "Castles Made of Sand."

21. At Last!, Etta James (1961)

Tomorrow: top 20, including one more live album and two for Christmas.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Sunflower is underrated. Not sure if it'll make my list, which, BTW, I was up until 2 am starting to compile, curse you! 40-38, 36-34, 31-29, 26, 24-21. My probable #1 is in this group, and you could probably guess what it is.

Roger Owen Green said...

And if a Charlie Brown Christmas isn't on the next list, I've totally misread you.

SamuraiFrog said...

You have not misread me! I love that you're making a list, too, and I can't wait to see it!

DrGoat said...

Castles made of sand is one of Hendrix's best (among others) songs.