Friday, April 05, 2013

Mindfulness: I Am

I am sitting on my zebra-print desk chair.

I am at my desk on my Acer laptop.

I am hearing the laptop running and the keys clicking as I type.

I am hearing sounds from outside. Birds chirping, a passing car with its stereo pulsing.

I am feeling my back as it aches dully.

I am hearing my refrigerator running.

I am hearing myself breathe through my mouth because my nose is stuffed up.

I am remembering to sit up straight.

I am waiting for my wife to get home from work.

I am taking a break from reading comics to do an exercise in being mindful like my therapist told me to do at least once a day.

I am cracking my neck.

I am feeling my head pound slightly.

I am remembering to breathe.

I am making a concerted effort to stay off of Tumblr today.

I am reevaluating certain relationships in my life because I am uncertain if they are relief from stress or sources of stress.

I am looking out at a sunny day. There are no trees on the leaves yet.

I can hear the sounds of the building. Creaking. TVs in other apartments, soft but present.

I am watching my rabbit as she naps.

I am thinking about how I need to trim my nails.

I am not allowing myself to worry about things in the past I cannot change, nor about problems in the future that may or may not happen.

I am hearing a car door slam.

I am not judging these things I see, hear, or feel.

I am remembering to breathe.

I am breathing.

I am looking at the Gizmo toy on my desk and it makes me smile.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

What an interesting exercise! Very present.

Chris said...

:-) It's like a poem.

I remember my (first, hopefully not last) attempt at zen meditation. When you start, you're just supposed to start counting to ten with each out-breath and then start over.

That is... SO HARD. But useful for staying calm.

SamuraiFrog said...

It's very hard. I live in an apartment in a college town, too, so the noise at any given moment can make it hard to really block everything out. Sunday mornings are really the best time for it. When I actually get there, I feel relaxed for hours and hours.

Mark Miller said...

Mindfulness can be used at any time. However, it takes practice, preferably at the quiet times, to be able to get into a more mindful state at any time.

The exercise is not to block everything out but to accept everything as it is.

I'm glad you are using this technique to calm yourself.