Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Veronica Mars Kickstarter

I kind of checked out for a while on the internet yesterday; by the time I heard that Rob Thomas and Kristen Bell had set up a Kickstarter to fund a Veronica Mars movie, they had already raised over half their donation goal of $2 million.

Yes, that Veronica Mars movie that Warner Bros. keeps insisting that no one wants to see? Rob and Kristen gave themselves 30 days to see if they could raise $2 million. It took less than 10 hours. Just over a day and it's at $2.5 million and almost 43,000 backers. And these are people that will actually go see the damn thing when it comes out.

I think this is an interesting story for a number of reasons.

First and foremost: Veronica Mars movie!

Second: this is an interesting experiment in crowdsourcing, because it shows you what people actually want to see vs. what studios tell you people want to see. I'll be interested to see what ramifications this has for other projects and for monetizing the depth of interest in other projects. To me, this is like the movie version of what Louis CK has been doing with his concerts: going directly to the fans.

Third: hey, the entertainment news is finally talking about Veronica Mars. Thanks for finally generating interest in the show, media!

The Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter Project set out to prove that fans of something will pay to see more, and it's proven that, and I think that's the real triumph here. And nearly 43,000 marshmallows are going to get something out of this. The fund is still open here; there's no ceiling on it, so people can keep donating. Look at the stuff you get for different levels of donation--almost all of that stuff is gone. That's how quickly and rabidly the fans want more Veronica.

Hey, I want this movie. I'm very, very cash-poor, so I only kicked in a dollar, which is the minimum donation, but it felt wrong not to kick in something, because I want this movie so damn bad. Plus I didn't actually start watching the show until it hit DVD, so it's not like I was trying to help it stay on the air.

Warner Bros. has agreed to pick up the costs for anything not related to the production of the film, so I guess they're not completely awful. Of course, they're in a no-lose situation now, so it's not like it's a grand gesture. They've been saying for years that no one wants this movie, and they're wrong.

No comments: