Friday, March 01, 2013

Speaking of Reboots...

This is, I guess, the English teacher in me coming out, but I read this article about how Will Smith and Jay-Z are going to produce a reboot of Annie starring Quvenzhane Wallis, and it really annoyed me. Not that it's happening or the casting or who's involved, but the fact that it was referred to as a reboot.

A reboot?

Modern day update, sure. Remake, definitely. But it's not a reboot. What franchise did you think you were rebooting? It's just a remake.

I'm sure it'll be a nice movie and make some money, but I still stand by what I've said before: no pirates, no hidden gold, it's not Little Orphan Annie. If you feature some of that action, then I'll accept it as a reboot no matter how many times the little girl sings "Tomorrow." But let's stop using the word "reboot" as a stand-in for the word "remake" and try to keep in mind what words actually mean.

/pointless nerd rant

2 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

It is kinda like when we were arguing over the word perfect to describe Spiderman 2002....Maybe they meant to say remake and not reboot...

Roger Owen Green said...

I hate 'reboot' anyway.