Friday, March 01, 2013

Marvel Now Update

I'm actually still reading some of those Marvel Now titles I checked out. Feels nice to be reading Marvel Comics again, especially ones that don't entirely suck, but I see the company is gearing up for yet another "event," so who knows how long it will last. I wonder if this whole thing has been a test-run for a New 52-style reboot, or what.

Anyway, Thor: God of Thunder and Journey Into Mystery have been wonderful. Although I don't immediately understand all the changes that seem to have been made to it, Fantastic Four is pretty cool so far; I absolutely love it when they treat it like a science fiction comic instead of a superhero book. It's spin-off title, Matt Fraction and Mike Allred's FF, is even better. Avengers Assemble is cute--the characters are recognizably the same, but the execution is very much rooted in the Joss Whedon flick. Not a great comic, maybe not one I'll stick with, but then I've never been a huge, huge fan of the Avengers titles. Deadpool is silly fun, which is the first time I've ever said that. I liked the first issue of Savage Wolverine.

I also read the first issue of Young Avengers, and even though for some reason the Hulkling looks like Justin Bieber...


...I enjoyed the issue. Except for Loki, I don't actually know who any of the characters are, but it's kind of nice to come into a book and not have any expectations for the characters. It reminds me a bit of a book like New Warriors, designed to pull together a lot of young characters that no one's really using.

Also, I have no idea why Loki is a child, but I like it. I recently read a couple collections of Matt Fraction's run on The Mighty Thor, and Loki was a kid. I don't know how it happened, but I like this better than when they made him a woman, because instead of just changing the outside, they've made his mind more childlike, also. It's an interesting direction for a character I sometimes have found tired.

Since I'm now reading only one DC book (Batman: Li'l Gotham), it's interesting to suddenly be back in the Marvel camp. DC was fouled up beyond recognition. Marvel... well, it's not the place I left 15 years ago, but some of it is recognizable and a lot of it is fun. And fun is what I want in a superhero book.

No comments: