Friday, March 29, 2013

Health Report Update

It took two sessions with the center to do my intake interview, and my case worker has given me a pre-diagnosis. At some point, I'm supposed to meet with a psychiatrist to determine them, just to make sure and to really plan out a treatment. I may not have Bipolar Disorder after all, which makes me feel better, and she's got me very hopeful that this is something I can really manage. I don't want to go into too much detail until I've met with the psychiatrist and am fully in treatment, just because I'm trying to not have a predetermined idea for them to meet or not meet or to unconsciously steer myself towards. All I knew for sure was the online assessments I took for Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and because I do have mood swings veering between mania and depression but not long episodes of them, it looks more like a non-specific Mood Disorder rather than Bipolar. Generalized Anxiety Disorder seems definite, though. A couple of other things, too.

My case worker thinks that my problems are more manageable than I do right now, so I hope things get better from here. This is one of the few things going on in my life right now that I have no nervousness about, because this is really important to me to address, and I will work as hard as I possible can to get through this.

So the first step is over. I feel like maybe I know what's wrong with me, but I want that second opinion.

We'll see. The more I understand what's wrong, the more I can address it.

4 comments:

Kal said...

I am impressed with your courage and your efforts. I am in the middle of my same kind of battle with myself to figure out how I can moderate my own mood swings, turn off my mind a little so I can sleep and maybe get back into sub teaching again because for me that was a sweet, easy, well paying gig. I thank you for keeping me up on your progress. I look up to you and wish we had more of an internet friendship.

Chris said...

You'll be fine. Everything won't be perfect right away, but this might be just what you need to get back on track with many things.

Have hope! :-)

Roger Owen Green said...

Hope you don't mind, but you were mentioned in my blog today.

SamuraiFrog said...

Kal: I hope that works out for you; it took me much too long to even get to this point, but I'm trying to just forge ahead and not be so hard on myself for things I can't undo.

Chris: Thank you!

Roger: I don't mind at all; I'm flattered to even be there!