Saturday, February 02, 2013

Disney Meme


There's a Disney Animated Feature Challenge I've seen on Tumblr lately (started here) and I thought I'd do it here becase it's a very snow Saturday morning and I've got nothing to do.

1: Your favorite character
My favorite Disney character is Scrooge McDuck. But since this is an Animated Feature challenge.... Donald Duck. He counts for Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros.

2: Your favorite official princess
Snow White, I think. But mostly because of Grim Natwick.

3: Your favorite official prince
The Beast. He's one of the only ones with any pathos.

4: Your favorite heroine (that isn’t an official princess)
I honestly can't think of one that I find that interesting as a real character, just going from the list of Disney features. I do like that they tried with Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame to finally create a post-feminist heroine, but I think her fate was still largely determined by all of the male characters around her, which kind of cuts her off at the knees. I don't know, if I could pick from anything Disney, I'd pick Clarabelle Cow.

5: Your favorite hero (not an official prince)
Tarzan.

6: Your favorite cast of characters
The Jungle Book. I love the character designs, especially. And George Sanders. That was the Disney movie that made the biggest impression on me as a kid, for whatever reasons.

7: Your favorite friendship
Mowgli and Baloo, because it reminds me of me and my Dad 30 years ago.

8: Your favorite sidekick
Jiminy Cricket. Close second: Genie. Eric Goldberg is a genius.

9: Your favorite couple
Pocahontas and John Smith, but that has a lot more to do with how that movie reminds me of how Becca and I were still in our first year of dating when it came out.

10: Your favorite animal couple
Is there a way for this question to not sound weird and fetishy? The internet has made us all bad people. Also, I can't think of one that really holds my attention that much, except maybe Tiana and Naveen in their frog forms in The Princess and the Frog.

11: The pet(s) you wish you had
I'd like to have access to one of those carnotaurs from Dinosaur, but not as a pet, more as an instrument of revenge/super-villainy.

12: Your favorite villain
Here's where there's just a wealth to choose from. I must say, I'm torn between Shere Khan in The Jungle Book and Scar in The Lion King, even though they're both basically the same character with similar actors doing big line readings. Shere Khan has the edge, though, because George Sanders is so perfectly droll.

13: Your favorite villain song
I've listened to "Friends on the Other Side" from The Princess and the Frog about a hundred and eighty times. It's just so damn listenable.

14: The most chilling villain demise
The Horned King in The Black Cauldron. I was 9 when I saw that movie, and the whole flashing, melting face thing really scared me. I know that was a surprisingly common sight in the 1980s, but you know how, sometimes, when you're a kid animation seems weirdly more "real"? Yeah, that got to me.

15: A moment that makes you laugh until it hurts
The funniest thing in any Disney movie, for me, is the crazy animation as Donald Duck, Jose Carioca and Panchito Pistoles sing the title song in The Three Caballeros. That is spectacularly crazed. Ward Kimball was amazing.

16: A moment that makes you cry your eyes out
Jeez, where to start? Most Disney movies have made me cry, but probably none so much as Beauty and the Beast, when the Beast "dies" and Belle says "I love you." There's context at play, too; when I saw that movie, I was 14 and had just finished my awful freshman year of high school, where I was so outcast and still made fun of on a daily basis because of my weight, my terrible skin, and my unpopularity in junior high. So that movie struck that chord, too.

Immediate runner-up: "Baby Mine."

17: A moment that scares you
When I was a kid, there were countless moments. Today the one that still does it is Lampwick crying out for his mother as he turns into a donkey in Pinocchio.

18: A moment that makes you mad
Boy, that Aunt Sarah frustrates me in Lady and the Tramp. And when the other elephants make fun of Dumbo. And the outright evil of Lady Tremayne. What's up, Verna Felton? You were very, very good at what you did.

19: A moment that makes you happy
My heart kind of soars when Donald Duck and Daisy finally find each other again at the end of the Noah's Ark sequence in Fantasia 2000.

20: Your favorite musical number
How do I pick? There are so many great ones. But, since I mentioned it earlier, the pure craziness of "The Three Caballeros."

21: Your favorite romantic moment
I do like "A Whole New World." Or Beast giving Belle the library, because Belle, like people on Tumblr, doesn't love to read so much as she likes to hang out with a big book collection.

22: Your favorite ending
The end of Lilo & Stitch really gets to me: "This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's small, and broken, but good."

23: A line that inspires you
Hmm. The first thing that comes to mind is the narrator telling Winnie the Pooh that all stories have an ending. That sort of thing always inspires me. Endings and new beginnings, and stories being enriched by having endings in the first place.

24: The first movie you remember seeing
The first Disney movie I actually have a memory of seeing is the 1979 re-release of Sleeping Beauty.

25: A movie you think is underappreciated
Bambi. Simply because it's my favorite, and every time I tell someone it's my favorite they say they don't like it. Also Fantasia. I'm also sorry that it seems like The Princess and the Frog has been shoved aside so that Tangled can be vastly overrated by a generation who thinks Shrek was great filmmaking.

26: Your favorite movie of the Golden Age (1937-1959)
Is that what the Golden Age is considered now? Because at the time of the Golden Age, none of those movies were making money or being embraced by mass audiences or, in the 1950s, even Walt Disney himself. The real Golden Age is something like 1937 to 1941. But anyway, it's still Bambi.

27: Your favorite movie of the Dark Age (1960-1988)
The Jungle Book.

28: Your favorite movie of the Renaissance Age (1989-1999)
Beauty and the Beast or Tarzan. Tarzan is a really great distillation of some of the elements of Edgar Rice Burroughs that I really like (though it ignores a lot of the brutality and science fiction weirdness, which, fine, it's great for what it tries to be), but it's marred by lapses of taste like Rosie O'Donnell.

29: Your favorite movie of the Millennium Age (2000-present)
Lilo & Stitch.

30: Your favorite movie
Bambi. Really, I think the first five Disney movies--Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo and Bambi--are real works of art. But Bambi is probably my second or third favorite movie of all time.

No comments: