Thursday, January 24, 2013

JJ Abrams to Direct Next Star Wars Movie

Millions of fanboys who briefly fooled themselves into believing that there was ever any possible future where they actually didn't hate Episode VII immediately decide they hate it, thus saving themselves another couple of years of swearing it's going to be good if only George Lucas isn't involved.

In all seriousness, I kind of figured this is where they going with this. I like Abrams' three previous films. I like the Star Wars prequels. I don't have a problem with it. I don't have the energy for the inevitable tidal wave of entitled fandamentalist whining this news has unleashed. See it or don't, I really don't give a fuck, and neither, you will find, do most people. If the worst thing that happens to you as an adult is that you don't like a movie, you've still had it disgustingly good. If you can't get over not liking a flick within two years, you don't have enough in your life that takes up your attention.

I've spent enough time in my life whining, sight unseen, about how bad some movie is going to be, only to end up liking it. And the reverse is true, too. I'll just wait and see and if I don't like it, oh, well. I have six other Star Wars movies I like just fine.

Well... five.

4 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

I liked the Phantom Menace until I saw Mr. Plinkett's review of it. Now it is fun to find what is wrong with it.

William Mercado said...

At least him, Orci, Kurtzman or anybody else associated with Lost or Star Trek 2009 is involved with the writing (not yet)

Immodium said...

Hope for the best and expect the worst, right?
*Shrug*, it will be a Star Wars movie, therefore I will go see it and my money they will have and two-ish hours of escapism will be mine. A fair trade, I guess. I'll likely nitpick it to death later, but love it in the moment... like all six before it (save one).
Best case scenario: still love it after the fact. Here's hoping.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Fuck Mr. Plinkett. (Sorry...just a reflex any time I see that guy mentioned...but it really rankles me that he has become the de facto final word on a movie that I don't think is anywhere NEAR as bad as its reputation suggests!)