Monday, January 28, 2013

I Finished Reading Dune

I loved it. The last time I read it was in high school, 20 years ago. I grokked it much more this time. I've been reading it slowly because I didn't want to just steam through it; I really wanted to figure out the things I didn't quite understand when I was 16.

I know some of you are Dune fans, so let me ask: is it worth it to go ahead and read Dune Messiah? I never thought about getting into the rest of the series, but I find myself hungering to see what happens to Paul-Muad'dib and whether or not he can stop the jihad. Dune was such an interesting look at how a superhuman loses his humanity; I want to see if he can regain it, or if it's really lost.

What say you? Should I read more?

7 comments:

Lockwood said...

Children of Dune (#2) is weaker, IMO, but a necessary bridge to Dune Messiah (#3), which is good, but not up to #1. I feel God Emperor of Dune (#4)is a match in terms of complexity, amazing world building, and plots within plots, and just downright riveting reading, with the original. The thing that the original has that none of the others can offer in the same way is a mind-bending introduction to the Dune Universe.

I do not recommend Heretics of Dune- Herbert was clearly intending to go off in some new direction, but does not get there in that book. Then he died before continuing it, so that book by itself is confusing and unsatisfying.

The "House" trilogy, "Prelude to Dune,' by his son, Brian, isn't bad, if not up to his father's standard, but I didn't think much of the "Legends of Dune," which covers the Butlerian Jihad.

Tallulah Morehead said...

Dune was the only one in the series I ever read. I was not moved to revisit it. However, my publisher read the whole series and loves them very much.

Kal said...

Dune Messiah is very short comparatively but that gets you to Children Of Dune and God Emperor of Dune. I got to the end and felt like I had read the entire story of the Atreides. The SYFY series does Dune and combines Messiah and Children into a second mini-series and I thought that was the best way to do it since Messiah and Children are a 2 part arc of the same story.

Lee said...

Don't bother with the rest of the series. A complete waste of time.

Kal said...

I wonder if you will seek out the SYFY miniseries based on the first three books.

SamuraiFrog said...

I've seen the first one, but not the second. I actually have the first one on DVD. I got that as a gift, and oddly I just got the blu-ray of the David Lynch movie as a gift.

daveawayfromhome said...

Whenever I read Dune, I kind of have to read the next two, also. God Emperor has never struck my fancy, though the events in the story are interesting. I personally really enjoyed the last two Frank Herbert books, and though I was bummed that he didnt manage to finish the series, it ends at a not unreasonable spot. I've also read the Brian Herbert ending for the series, and give it an overwhelming "meh".