Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Anya's Ghost

Becca checked this out from the library a couple of weeks ago and told me I might like it. She said it was about a high school girl who falls in a well and comes out with a ghost best friend. So I sat down with it, and I've just finished it, and I really think as many people should read this as they can. It's a wonderful, simple (but not simplistic), emotional story about Anya, a high school girl who is very worried about fitting in, and how her life changes when she secretly becomes best friends with a ghost--and then realizes far too late that the ghost may have her own reasons for wanting to get close to her.

It's a masterful work, and one of the most enjoyable graphic novels I've read in a long time. I especially recommend it if you're looking for a holiday gift for teen or pre-teen girls. It's an involving and positive work about self-esteem, individuality, and becoming comfortable with yourself. But more than that it's just a compelling, gripping, well-written (and drawn) story. I loved it.

No comments: