Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oz: The Great and Powerful


I'm on the fence about this one. Looks pretty, great cast, and I love Sam Raimi a lot more often than I don't, and David Lindsay-Abaire is one of the writers... And I don't really care about the idea of Oz continuity or anything like that, because no movie ever has. I'm not a stickler for exactness. I just want to see an entertaining movie and not a complete piece of shit like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. And the marketing campaign is playing up the similarities because that piece of shit Alice in Wonderland made so much money because, I guess, every kid in the world wanted to see a charmless, uninventive, unimaginative, faux-edgy piece of shit. So, I dunno, I just really hope this movie isn't a piece of shit.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

While I certainly don't expect good continuity, I have read that the movie is supposed to be based on the Oz books (well, the first fourteen, anyway), so why do the previews only show things from the first book?

SamuraiFrog said...

I saw this same trailer on Sunday night in front of Life of Pi, and it's absolutely stunning in 3D. But I had the same feeling watching it; it's like they have to say that just to blow the minds of the people who just have no idea the books exist. So they bring in some elements but mostly they don't want to rock everyone's expectations of the Judy Garland movie too hard.