Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kevin Clash Resigns from Sesame Street

As I predicted earlier, Kevin Clash's future does not involve Sesame Street. I'd figured that his leave of absence would wind up being permanent and probably not commented on by Sesame Workshop, but with Clash's original accuser recanting his recantation and a second accuser coming forward, Clash had to fall on his sword and resign. He can't be seen to be part of the show at all, because whether or not the accusations are true, Sesame Street can't be seen to have someone accused of molesting children on the staff of a partially public-funded program. It just isn't possible.

I don't want to speculate on the possible truth of the allegations. I mean, I hope they're not true, but I have to not talk about it. My first instinct is to respond with snark and anger and say things about the accusers. I want to deflect this news and not deal with it because it's bad news that I don't like hearing or thinking about. I think that's a very human reaction, but it's not the reaction I want to have. I don't want to be mad just because I love Kevin Clash, and I don't want to leap to his defense and start calling names like those idiots who were overturning vans to defend Jerry Sandusky last year. I don't want to be in that kind of denial.

I feel betrayed, angry and uncomfortable. And I'm just a fan. The worst I have to deal with is disillusionment. I think I'm getting off pretty light in this whole deal.

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

i feel your pain. had to wait to watch the news until the daughter went to bed.

Splotchy said...

I'm sorry about everything in this.

Devilham said...

I am always impressed with how honestly you look at yourself and the world. You strike me as uniquely free of pretension...something myself, and the rest of the world struggles with....seeing a person you respect fall like this, and having the ability to express what your experiencing so eloquently is rare, have you ever considered writing (professionally that is)?

SamuraiFrog said...

Thank you for saying so. I've written professionally on and off, though rather more off lately.