Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chick Flicks

In the site's futile quest to not be "just" a sleaze factory, Egotastic! put up a list called The Ten Chick Flicks Guys Love But Refuse to Admit Watching. It's been a long time since I commented on a list, and for some reason I decided to make it this one.

Of course, I admit everything I watch. I don't believe in trying to make yourself look cooler or manlier or whatever by hiding your tastes and opinions. I think most people who were bullied in high school don't give a shit by the time they hit their mid-thirties, and they shouldn't. So I don't have a single movie I can think of that I would refuse to admit I like. I'm always the guy discussing movies who says "I love Howard the Duck, I don't know what's wrong with everyone else."

Here's the list with my comments:

Mean Girls
I never really thought of this as a chick flick, but I guess it is. I went to see this in the cinema about 6 or 7 times or maybe more. I just thought it was so fucking funny (and I totally had a thing for Lindsay Lohan then). Tina Fey should really write another movie. I have it on DVD, but I haven't seen it in a few years. Tumblr made me very, very sick of it, with the constant gifs and memes and quotes, and even though it's calmed down about 95%, I still cringe when I see someone quoting it or putting up a gif. I'm going to need a couple more years away from this very smart, very funny movie.

The Proposal
I saw this one, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, but I've never had the urge to watch it again. The best part of that movie? The house in Alaska. That was a hell of a house.

The Notebook
Never saw it.

Bridget Jones' Diary
This is legitimately a great movie; I regard it highly, and even higher after that terrible sequel tried to make me hate it. Why did Renee Zellweger just disappear, anyway? I quite liked her for a few years. Anyway, yes, this is an excellent movie.

Titanic
I used to like this movie, but if you recall, earlier this year I sat down to watch it again and found that it didn't live up to what I remembered. I wouldn't consider this a movie I like anymore. But I do think it's still, after all this time, very fashionable to say that you hated it even if you didn't. It's because it won the Best Picture Oscar. That just turned it into this thing you have to have a strong opinion on. Which is stupid, but, well, welcome to talking about pop culture.

Sweet Home Alabama
Never saw it.

Never Been Kissed
It's a cute movie, and very easy to like. Drew Barrymore is cute to the millionth power in this one, and I love her at even a tenth of that. I haven't seen this in years, but I have never stopped quoting Garry Marshall saying "Wieners! I got wieners! Here, have a wiener!" at the ballpark.

Legally Blonde
Saw it, thought it was cute, never saw it again. Just never had the urge. But it's a cute movie.

Love Actually
I still adore this movie. I love it every time I see it; it's like a big, gooey, English hug, and it's getting to be the perfect time of year to watch it. Becca and I always try to get this one in at Christmastime.

13 Going On 30
This is also a very cute, very easy to like. Jennifer Garner is at peak adorability in this movie, and Andy Serkis is just lovable. Come on, that "Thriller" scene is aces. Yeah, I dig this movie. I catch it on cable every so often. It's the movie that finally made me love Mark Ruffalo.

So, two movies I think are just excellent movies (Bridget Jones, Love Actually), one that I need distance from (Mean Girls), one that I just don't care for anymore (Titanic), two I liked but will probably never watch again (Legally Blonde, The Proposal), two I never saw (Sweet Home Alabama, The Notebook), one that's a lovely piece of fluff that I watch now and then on cable (13 Going On 30), and one that I kind of feel like watching right now because it's cute and I haven't seen it for years (Never Been Kissed) despite the fact that Luke Wilson's in it and I hate him.

There you have it.

2 comments:

daveawayfromhome said...

really, those were their top 10 chick flicks that guys love? I mean, some, sure, But Sweet Home Alabama? I know this isnt about the top 10 chick-flicks, but how about You've Got Mail?

SamuraiFrog said...

Honestly, I'm not even sure I know a guy who's seen You've Got Mail. I do know a lot of guys who've seen (and like) When Harry Met Sally, though.