Thursday, October 04, 2012

Why Mitt Romney Ultimately Pisses Me Off

It all comes down to this comment from last night's debate: that Obamacare "puts in place an unelected board that’s going to tell people ultimately what kind of treatments they can have." He's prevaricating a bit there. He's referring to the Independent Payment Advisory Board, which is geared towards modifying payments to insurance providers, but which cannot include any recommendation to ration health care or raise revenues or premiums. It also can't restrict benefits or modify eligibility.

But what Romney is getting at with his comment is the old Sarah Palin "death panel" argument. He's trying to raise that specter again to make people afraid of the Affordable Care Act, and it just pisses me off. It pisses me off for two reasons.

First, it pisses me off because this "unelected board that's going to tell people ultimately what kind of treatments they can have" is the exact description of an insurance company. It was the same argument against Palin's "death panel" nonsense: the thing you're saying is bad is the thing people already have. But when it comes down to who could be in charge of whether you or a loved one gets to live or die, Palin and Romney think it should be a private company, and not, say, a doctor. I think that's an important difference. It's for-profit thinking, and I don't want for-profit thinking dominating the government of this country. Romney's stupid reliance on the supposed altruism of corporations, banks and, weirdly, state governments instead of the federal government (because Jim Crow worked out great for democracy) makes me very, very angry.

Seriously, why is it okay for a profit-motivated company to tell people what kind of treatments they can have, but not a government program aimed at reducing the costs of healthcare?

But the second, much more direct reason this thing pissed me off, and the reason everything Mitt Romney says ultimately pisses me off, is the same thing it's always been: he is so cartoonishly out of touch with the life of the majority of American citizens. He doesn't realize it, obviously. It would be tragic if it weren't so dangerous.

Look, Mitt Romney is rich. He was born rich, and he's going to die rich. He's going to always have access to the best of everything. So he has no idea. He has no idea what it's like to be at the mercy of an insurance company, or to be uninsured and know you're just one major illness away from bankruptcy, debt, and maybe even tragedy. He just doesn't understand, and he never will. He doesn't know what it's like to choose between getting medication and eating for the week. He'll never want for care because he can afford it.

And it just pisses me off. Not that he's rich and I'm not, because I honestly don't care. All I want is to one day have the security of knowing that health care won't bankrupt me. What pisses me off is that he has no idea what it's like to be in my position, and he has the unmitigated gall to tell me that his for-profit thinking is somehow better for me. That he knows what he's talking about when it comes to struggling families because his idea of being poor is having to sell some of his stock. That's what gets me right in the bile duct. That he thinks he can tell me what's good for me as a poor person who's barely employed and completely uninsured.

And I reject that. I reject being told what's a better health plan for me by someone who will never be in the position to need it as badly as I do. I reject being called lazy and irresponsible when too much of my life is dedicated to trying to keep my head above water.

I reject the notion that Mitt Romney's complete ignorance of my situation gives him the ability to even suggest what kind of health care I should find acceptable.

I reject the notion that Mitt Romney is somehow smart or capable of leadership just because he inherited money.

Fuck Mitt Romney.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Aside from his obvious sense of privilege, it also seems that he's eager to pass the buck. Pass everything off to the states and the private sector, and the federal government can be a lot lazier.