Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Film Week

A review of the films I've seen this past week.

EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982)
This week I caught up with Death on the Nile, a movie I don't think I've seen since I was 10. I had so much fun with it, and was pleased to see that TCM was showing this follow-up, again featuring Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot in a classy, bouncy, very fun production with a great cast. I'd put this one on equal footing with Death on the Nile; it looks great, and it's funnier. It's amusing how dispassionate people in these movies are about the murders that go on; they're witty and stylish instead of big and dramatic, and I love it. Ustinov seems to be having more fun and indulging himself a little more in this one. Using the Cole Porter music is a fun touch. I wish there were 12 more of these. ***1/2

CHARLOTTE FOR EVER (1986)
Interesting movie about a man (Serge Gainsbourg, who wrote and directed) mourning the loss of his wife who worries about losing the affections of his daughter Charlotte (Serge's real-life daughter Charlotte Gainsbourg). Not as salacious as a lot of people would have you believe, but still uncomfortable and psychosexual at times. An interesting experiment in forms of loss and how hard it is for a man to relate to his adolescent daughter without the mediating presence of the mother. ***

SLAP SHOT (1977)
A lot of guys I know like this movie, but I didn't really get into it. I dig those Hanson brothers, though. I wish there'd been a lot more of them, because they really livened it up in the middle. **1/2

2 comments:

Tallulah Morehead said...

I was not the least bit flattered by Angela Lansbury's portrayel of ME in Death on the Nile! Look at my avatar here, She was CLEARLY playing me!

Did you notice that Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun basically work out to be the same plot? The murders are the co-work of an evil romantic couple working together whom everyone (except Poirot) thinks hate each other in both pictures. (But they are great fun.)

SamuraiFrog said...

I did notice that. I actually predicted right away the identity of the murderers in Evil Under the Sun and thought, no, they won't go for that again... But so much fun and style getting there.

You know, I've never read a Christie novel. I guess it's past time...